Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2004, 04:53 PM

Default AK suited at the last table.....

I'm sitting at the final table of a NL tourny. I've got enough chips to hit the next BB and SB with a little left over. I felt I had enough left over to sit through a get 18 hands or so.

I'm dealt AK suited. I call the BB. Get one caller after me, and under the gun goes all in. I have the same amount of chips as he does.

As I was sitting there looking at him and him trying not to look at me, I was thinking.....

18 hands vs. going home now. What are my outs? Is it worth it?

And I call.

Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Did I meantion that he's holding 55? The was one other caller and she had AJx.

River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

down to the straight.

I'm not to concerned about my play at that point, but if anyone sees where I could've played better, please share...what I'm more interested in rather, is the approach people take on a short stack with a good hand close to the being in the money.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:01 PM

Default Re: AK suited at the last table.....

Why wouldn't you go allin yourself? We you content to fold and hope to move up a few places?
Old 05-04-2004, 05:09 PM

Under the gun is the first to act immidiately to the left of BB so if you called first this can't be UTG. I'm assuming he is next to act after you.

At this table are you the shortest stack? If someone is shorter or several are where you can make money by just waiting them out it makes a difference.

I can tell you smooth calling is wrong here. Since you only have enough for 1-2 rotations around the table taking the blinds right now is a nice % increase to your stack and buys you time for others to bust out.

Either go all-in so you get the blinds now or double up with a win or fold because several smaller stacks are about to bust and you move up in money but calling is wrong.

Old 05-04-2004, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got enough chips to hit the next BB and SB with a little left over.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you started w/ BB+SB+"a little left over". You called the BB, so now you have SB+"a little left over"
[ QUOTE ]
18 hands vs. going home now. What are my outs? Is it worth it?

[/ QUOTE ]
AND YOUR CONSIDERING FOLDING W/ A GROUP 1 HAND????? I can't imagine a worse play in the history of poker.

[ QUOTE ]
What are my outs?

[/ QUOTE ]
This doesn't really make sense preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
The was one other caller and she had AJx.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was the x a 3rd card in her hand? If it was, it was a misdeal and you can replay the hand correctly...by going all in as soon as you see your AKs.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:26 PM

Apparently I played this like a dumbass. Unfortunatly, that was my gut reaction as the words "I call" left my lips.