Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2004, 12:32 PM

Default Winning VP$IP percentage

Many of the winners in my poker tracker db have VP$IP percentages greater than 35%. Is this normal or will the percentages go down once I accumulate more players with >500 hands. Is it necessary to have a VP$IP of aroune 20% or less to be a long term winning player?
Old 05-04-2004, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Winning VP$IP percentage

Organise your players by VP$IP on the summary page and look at the W/L colors.

You will notice that there is more green in the 15-22 range than in other places.

To answer your question however, you can win if you have over 30% but probably only at low limits and with very good post flop play

(Exception, 100 big blind NL games against weaker players I think you can have significantly higher %ages and still do okay)

Lori
Old 05-04-2004, 12:40 PM

Do this:

Filter out the players that have played 100 hands against you. Then do 200...300...400...and 500.

You will probably see the percentage of winners go up while at the same time see the average VP$IP go down as your filter increases.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many of the winners in my poker tracker db have VP$IP percentages greater than 35%. Is this normal or will the percentages go down once I accumulate more players with >500 hands. Is it necessary to have a VP$IP of aroune 20% or less to be a long term winning player?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is possible for somebody to have a VP$IP greater than 35% and be a short term winner. This is the 'hook' that all the educated poker writers talk about. (no names mentioned)

Some percentages will go down, as it is also possible to have tight preflop selection, and still have the deck hitting you in the face with sample sizes around 100 hands...

Yes, most people here will tell you that it takes a VP$IP around 20% to be a long term winner. I think it's right it almost all games..
Old 08-16-2004, 09:46 PM

I still have big winners with >500 hands that have VP$IP % greater than 30%. However I will say that a lot of the "successful" players from a few months ago are no longer around, even the ones with lower %'s.