Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2004, 02:16 PM

Default BB--ace with poor kicker--what to do?

The issue I want to raise with the hand below is this: when you think you might have the best hand at the moment, and might be able to buy the pot, but get a caller and don't improve, how long should you keep pretending to have something, especially when there's some doubt that he may have nothing too?

B&M, 3-6, new to table with few helpful reads, at least on the players that matter here. Table seems a tad tight.

I'm in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

CO limps, Button limps, SB completes, as do I.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 players)
I bet, thinking anyone with a nine will raise. If so, I'll fold. All fold except CO.

Turn: (9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Should I check here or take another stab at it?
Since none of you were around for advice at the time, I bet and got called.

River: (9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Again, not sure if I should try again (perhaps he had overcards and was just drawing and I can scare him out?). I try again. He calls.

Old 05-02-2004, 02:19 PM

Default Results

He's got a K Q offsuit and I take the pot.

He smiles and says boastfully, that he could tell by the way I bet that I was bluffing.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:20 PM

Default Re: BB--ace with poor kicker--what to do?

[ QUOTE ]
Again, not sure if I should try again (perhaps he had overcards and was just drawing and I can scare him out?). I try again. He calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um. That's terrible logic Ear.
If he has overcards why would you want to "scare him out"? You have the best hand if that's the case.
If he has overcards and you think he will call, bet.
If he has overcards and you know he won't call, check (hope he bets, call).
Why do you want a worse hand to fold on the river? That is NOT a bluff.

I don't like the River bet (unless he'll call with overcards) as what worse hands are going to fold, and what better hands are going to call?
I'd figure you lost the hand, and maybe lost another BB on the River.

The rest of the hand I'm not going to comment on as this is the pertinent point, and the wrong thinking.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
He smiles and says boastfully, that he could tell by the way I bet that I was bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, he said that? Well, like you weren't bluffing, you had a better hand than him ON EVERY STREET. And on the Turn you had enough to bet. This is a guy you really want to value bet, by the looks of it.
[And you still didn't want to scare him into folding on the River with his missed overcards, you wanted him to call]
Old 05-02-2004, 02:36 PM

Quote: "Wow, he said that?"

He did, indeed. He was actually pretty annoyingly entertaining to watch, behaving as if he'd written the book of Tells. He commented several times on how easy about half of the other players were to read because of the way they behaved. He frequently chuckled knowingly to himself because he apparently knew these little "secrets" about us based on our behavior. Some of the other players started hamming it up, purposefully trembling as they pushed their chips forward.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:42 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad he also doesnt boast that he doesnt know how to play overcards in this spot.

b
Old 05-02-2004, 02:47 PM

Quote: "Um. That's terrible logic Ear.
If he has overcards why would you want to "scare him out"? You have the best hand if that's the case.
If he has overcards and you think he will call, bet."

Thanks. I see your point here. I think my logic was directed by sense of paranoia, one I need to get the better of. My idea was, if he has overcards, I want to scare him out before he hits one of them on the river. With such a horrible kicker, I was also far from certain I had him beat.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:53 PM

You didn't have an ace with a poor kicker, you had a four with a great kicker. I would have bet the turn and river just as you did.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Oops

oops--there weren't two 4 of [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the deck as indicated in the post. The one in my hand was a heart.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:13 PM

I see these guys all the time in 4/8. Why are they playing 4/8 w/ such psychic ability? I used to think that they always lost bc. they were terrible players and full of themselves but maybe it's more simple than that. At the level there playing, maybe their perfect reads are worthless because their opponents don't really even know what they have [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As for your bet on the river. As a bluff, it only has to be right 1 in 6 times to be correct. In so far as it's a hand, albeit bottom pair, and you might get called by a worse hand (like really happened) your odds are increased so that you may only need to be correct one in 3 or 4 to be profitable (depending on a how much a player will call w/ overcards). Win or lose its a good play at that point against most players heads up.