Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2004, 07:21 PM

Default Do poker players need a \"thick\" skin in order to beat the game?

I work in a very challenging environment. In order to succeed in my industry my employees need a "thick" skin. They need to handle criticisms well. They need to deal with adverse situations and solve many different problems. I analyze hand histories in the same manner in which I would analyze the work an employee has put into an account. The only difference that exists between the two, my colleagues consider me an expert in my line of work and my poker game needs constant improvement.

I do not mix words at work and some find me hard to work for.A known lurker who has worked for me can respond since he has first hand knowledge. I quickly point out my employees mistakes and sometimes need to discipline certain mistakes. People consider me tough but fair. I never critisize an employee personally I critize their action or poor performance.

Last night I read a post where a new poster incorrectly folded the nut flush draw.

Most posters explained why the poster made such a bad player. However none of them really got the point across the way Dynasty did. By no means do I intend to attack Dynasty or denounce what he did. One poster questioned the manner in which Dynasty answered the post and he replied. Nothing personal its just poker.

All of this leads to my question. Do poker players need a thick skin in order to survive and learn from the pitfalls associated with the game?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 04-29-2004, 08:02 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Do poker players need a \"thick\" skin in order to beat the game?

I think one should also give kudos to the good stuff as well as pointing out the mistakes. If one only hears about the mistakes, there's no reinforcement of the good. Positive reinforcement seems to be underrated/underused.

I hope you commend your employees when they do something good. I did this with my old employees and it gave more validity in my criticisms when they did something wrong. It makes the criticism carry more weight and justification, imo. I found they trusted me more. Otherwise, it's just constant bicker that they can/will eventually tune out. Other dynamics are involved, but im not going into that here.

But there is quite a difference in a working situation, where you are constantly dealing with an employee where it's more pertinent to find a balance, and a single post.

Jim Brier, imo, (and others, but im not going to make a list) did this well. He criticised and commended/encouraged pretty good.

The post in question, i think when all but 1 poster in the responses, out of many responses, are saying it's a bad play, it should be obvious it's a bad play. Dynasty pretty much put the exclamation point on it when the play was defended by the poster for the 2nd time. There was no gray area for his play as far as how he chose to play the hand. I think it summed up the frustration of many responders who tried to set the guy str8. He still may not get it even after that. Who knows.

I havent checked the thread yet today to see if anything has developed.

b

Old 04-29-2004, 08:28 PM

I hope you commend your employees when they do something good. I did this with my old employees and it gave more validity in my criticisms when they did something wrong. It makes the criticism carry more weight and justification, imo. I found they trusted me more. Otherwise, it's just constant bicker that they can/will eventually tune out. Other dynamics are involved, but im not going into that here.

Thats what I mean by my fair comment. I commend a job well done, I critique a job done poorly.

Old 04-29-2004, 08:36 PM

I don't know if poker players need a thick skin, but those who choose to post here would certainly be well served to develop a thick skin.

I have to say that these forums pretty much take the cake within my experience for rudeness, hostility and arrogance. Then again, I s'pose that's just a natural part of the game.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:39 PM

I have to say that these forums pretty much take the cake within my experience for rudeness, hostility and arrogance. Then again, I s'pose that's just a natural part of the game.

You have never walked or worked on the floor of a "boiler room". [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I work with the most rude hostile and arrogant people imaginable.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:43 PM

I wasn't talking about boiler rooms. I was talking about online communities.

I just came to realize early on that it'd kill many of the posters here to act in a respectful fashion, and have come to expect rudeness.

Although I'm sure that a lot of people will be quite creative in coming up with totally unique rationalizations for such hideous behavior.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:07 PM

MG, you're a plumber?
Old 04-29-2004, 09:21 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Just making sure. Some employers see 'fair' as equally pointing out mistakes of everyone, not just a select few, yet dont commend for anything. Doing extraordinary is expected, hence, shouldnt have to be pointed out or rewarded.

Making them equally abrasive to everyone. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

b
Old 04-29-2004, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MG, you're a plumber?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:25 PM

MG, you're a plumber?

Here we go with the stereo types. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Daryn should get this as well as any of the posters who have an interest in or knowledge of this thing of ours [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]