Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2004, 01:42 PM

Default I\'m behind with the Ladies

20-40 at Lucky Chances. UTG (pretty good player that literally is there every time I play) flat calls. I raise with the ladies. 2 more callers, now back to UTG who 3 bets. I am fairly certain this means KK or AA. Even though I realize this for some reason I decide to 4 bet to knock out the other 2 players.

After the hand which I got lucky and won when I flopped a set (he never showed his hand but he said later he had KK and I believe him since he check-raised me on the Q high flop) I thought about the hand and deided I made a mistake.

Why did I 4 bet and try and knock people out when I needed to flop a set to win the hand anyway. Comments?
Old 04-29-2004, 02:09 PM

Default Re: I\'m behind with the Ladies

Hi EasyGoer,

I play at Lucky Chances too, but I haven't strayed from the $9/$18 or $6/$12 game.

When you get 3-bet by a solid UTG, it means he has one of two hands, AA or KK (possibly AK, but less likely).

When you have two callers in front of you with any hand, save AA and KK, you should be calling to induce the other players to call and play your hand for what it's worth, a hand that needs to catch up to AA or KK (in your case a set). You never mentioned whether the other two players folded, but if they were willing to call 2 cold to your raise, I'm guessing they probably called another 2. It would be a travesty to have them fold, flop your set and not collect any money from them.

Good game. I want to get more experience before moving up to that limit.

Garland
Old 04-29-2004, 02:34 PM

I would just call the 3-bet preflop. But I don't think you can put him on only AA or KK. There's just a very good chance that he has one of those.

Um, also 4-betting is unlikely to knock out anyone who's already called two cold.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you get 3-bet by a solid UTG, it means he has one of two hands, AA or KK (possibly AK, but less likely).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is far from certain. I have recently seen a strong player limp-reraise with hands as weak as JJ and AJs.

If you and he were heads-up, I would be quick to put him on a hand that he believes is a favorite against the kind of hands you'd raise with. In other words, he feels like he's in good shape versus AQo or 99 or so.

With other people in the pot, you can't be so sure.

Then again, if this guy is as solid as you say he is, don't put in lots of action postflop with pocket queens unless you really like the board.