Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2004, 10:24 AM

Default 50-100 - Is having a third nut good?

Mediocre 50-100 live, full table. I raise Utg with T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Utg+1, a loose player wearing a cowboy hat and shades thinking he's good, coldcalls. A few rounds earlier he coldcalled one of my EP raises with AA but he's also reraised me with 77 and 43s. His range of hands here is very wide. The blinds call and we see a four-way flop.

Flop-A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to me and I bet. Cowboy raises, others fold, I call.

Now, in a situation like this, do you find it best to just check and call to the river, folding if you don't hit your diamond? Do you bet if you hit your flush? I personally hate drawing to a hand if I can't feel comfortable raising it.

Sidenote: This player is passive with drawing hands. I've seen him simply check and call with nut flush draws and fold if he doesn't hit. This makes it less likely he's on a pure draw.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:46 AM

Default Only if all the others are gone

First of all, raising UTG at that table with TT was not the best idea, as you're going to get 3-4 callers who will call because they have position on you and will try their damndest to push you off a pot.

There were many players who would call EP raises in the blinds and then lead at any flop. That's what happened in the hand where Action Jackson in the 4 seat made his backdoor flush: I raised from MP with AJs, and he called in the BB. Flop was A76 with a club. He bet, I called. Turn was 2c. He bet, I raised, he called. River was Jc, He check-raises me and flips KcTc.

Moral: what do you do with TT, when the A flops and you get bet into, against 5 players who cold-called raises, and may potentially raise behind?

I don't think his range is that wide: here's why.

He thinks he's good

This guy cracked me up. He's got a severe case of FPS. He reraised with marginal hands, but only called with top hands.

I had him on AKs, AQs, or any other type of hand that could stand the barrage of cold-callers that he knew his call would bring along. Any lesser hand he thought best he would reraise - 99,88,JJ. The first time he cold-called (with AA) he was in the cutoff and your open raise was from CO-1, thus disguising his hand against only one or two potential callers behind him. But UTG+1, he can't afford to only cold-call your raise, as he knows a cold-call will entice other calls, and he doesn't want to take his AA against 6 callers (unlike a certain Gucci-dogtag wearing Asian tipping $10/hand)

So, I don't mind the third nut draw, but the pf raise was not a good idea with TT against a potential 3-4 opponents.

With a UTG raise, in that game you'd either win the blinds or more likely, get involved with 4-5 players multiway. In my mind, not a good idea with TT, see HPFAP for a similar example on JJ. While this game wasn't consistently loose, there were times when almost at random suddenly 4 cold-callers would see a flop, and some real wild play emerged.

Then, amazingly, it would all die down again on the next hand.

Even more amazingly were those two guys (Frankie and the guy in the Team Canada hat) who simply didn't play each other.

Frankie was stuck 2 racks of greens and at one point, he raised pre-flop, TeamCanada called, flop came QJ9, frankie bet, TeamCanada just called and turned over the nuts for the table. Frankie mucked his hand before the dealer ran out the turn and river.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:54 AM

Default Re: 50-100 - Is having a third nut good?

I disagree with Gamblor about the preflop raise. They are more than welcome to pay 2 bets to take the flop with me when I have the 5th best hand in Holdem. It doesn't "play poorly" against 3 players, I think that's simply bunk, hogwash, 2+2 urban legend.

As for the hand, yes, I basically am calling down. The pot is big, my flush is likely good, and if it isn't, my tens might be good. I've posted it before, but never fold a 4-flush headsup in these spots.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:14 PM

is 22 the 13th best hand in hold em?
Old 04-29-2004, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding, right? How many times has this been covered?
Old 04-29-2004, 12:43 PM

FWIW, from twodimes:

Tc Td 44.59%
Kd Qs 36.27%
7h 7c 18.90%

Two face card, A-xs and smaller pocket pairs are the kinds of hands with which guys cold-call in my game.
Tc Td 37.33%
Kd Qs 31.54%
Ac 7c 30.82%
Old 04-29-2004, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually forgot AKs. So the 6th best hand. TT is better than AKo though.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:33 PM

This is a 3-way sim not 4-way. HPFAP suggests you want a
raised pot with three as well as two but don't want it with 4 or 5.

Here is another ( not very useful ) twodimes example with 4 way.

Tc Td 0.277
Qs Kd 0.227
Ac 7c 0.302
Ks Js 0.194

After the flop the top pair hands get to pump things up while the 10's guess whether to stay in.

The JJ holds its own by a tiny margin going cold all the way to the river, but it gets crushed if there is bigger pair out and when you factor in the times you have to fold an eventual winner, I don't believe the auto-raise is right.

Everyone agrees if there are some really terrible callers the raise is ok.

Limp with 10's if it fits the game.

D.

Old 04-29-2004, 01:34 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i rate my hands by what my average number of big bets per hand is in pokertracker: AA KK QQ AKs AQs 99 (seemingly common result!) JJ TT AKo KQs
Old 04-29-2004, 01:41 PM

Ranking 99 ahead of JJ and TT is ridiculous, and I don't care how many hands you have in your PokerTracker DB to support you. Learn to play JJ and TT better.