Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2004, 03:06 PM

Default The psychology/EV of drinking in live games?

I know that this is an incredibly touchy subject for some, and most will fall back on the "never drink while playing cards" mantra, but I have to take a shot at it anyway.

Could drinking (lightly to moderately) at the table be a +EV play? I think that it can be a situation that one can take advantage of. I typically drink during about ~50% of my live sessions, and have only once had it really get in the way of my playing. The rest of the time I think it can work to my advantage. I'm only in my early twenties, and look younger than that, but I'm pretty sure I've been pegged as a tight-aggressive player by virtually every regular in my local cardroom. I try to use the show of drinking, coupled with the illusion of being drunk (or at least a little looser than I actually am) to entice more loose calls than I would normally get. I also hardly believe that 1-3 drinks over the course of several hours would significantly affect my play, although others may argue otherwise.

So the bottom line- Is an average investment of 1 SB in my 10-20 game for some table image and a good time worth it in a session, or am I just handicapping myself? Let the flaming commence.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:26 PM

Default Re: The psychology/EV of drinking in live games?

I see nothing wrong with having a few beers while playing as long as it doesn't affect your play. Some can drink and play, others can't. I usually drink coffee while I'm playing, but I'll occassionally have a beer or two.

Will drinking beer while playing cards enhance your image enough to make it +EV? I doubt it. However, it might make you look like less of a nit. If you are thirsty and want a beer, have a beer, but don't drink thinking it is going to increase your winrate. Also, don't act drunk its usually very transparent and will piss off most players, especially if you slow the game down with your act.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:57 PM

I doubt you will gain EV by being seen drinking, but it certainly won't do the opposite. You'll just be viewed as a typical player, therefore nothing to worry about. I doubt a beer in your drink tray will entice calls however.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I typically drink during about ~50% of my live sessions, and have only once had it really get in the way of my playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

John Fox (my hero) , said it best.

[ QUOTE ]

Reassuring Drinkers

One cheery note to drinkers on drinking, -- studies have shown that if you are a very bad player to start with, drinking probably won't hurt your game too much. For anyone else, one drink is too much, two drinks are ridiculous

[/ QUOTE ]

Bygmesterf
Old 04-28-2004, 08:40 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Some players can actually play better after a few drinks. As long as they dont go overboard. It can have a relaxing effect on them enabling them to play much better than they would sober. Or something to that effect.

I remember a line in a book somewhere where a guy said his buddy was 'good sober, phenominal when buzzed, horrible when drunk'.

This isnt to say im really advocating trying it. Do what you want. But this does exist.

It can be an amazing thing to watch, also.

b
Old 04-28-2004, 08:50 PM

The evidence is overwhelming that even small amounts of alcohol negatively affect many thought processes, but that most people do not recognize or accept this fact.
To put it bluntly, you're kidding yourself.
Regards,
Al
Old 04-28-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Re: The psychology/EV of drinking in live games?.

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] one more key fact about drinking etoh and cards..,,if you are a bad player it does not hurt you as much as it hurts the good player...

just the facts ma'am .. gl [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2004, 10:11 PM

"Could drinking (lightly to moderately) at the table be a +EV play?"

i wouldnt believe anyone else if they said it was for them, but for me it simply is. not that i do it often, i rarely do. i only do in vegas, never at home base.

here's how it works for me: drinking distracts me from the game. it gets me talking, listening to others talk, watching tv, watching girls, etc. so i just sit there in a stoned daze and happily wait for only really great hands to get involved in. even more so than normally.

Old 04-28-2004, 10:15 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

You have heard of the actual martial art of 'the drunken master'? Though there was a movie about this, there is actually a disciplined form of this.

b
Old 04-28-2004, 10:17 PM

I don't know how soft your 10-20 game is, but IF DRINKS WERE FREE I would say it's +EV to drink in a soft game. It also depends largely on your table personality. I'll chat it up with the fish more when I'm drunk, and they stick around. I mean, the true super-fish... that's why they're there.. to drink and chat it up.

The reason I require the game be soft is two-fold:

#1. The game must be soft enough that your brain can still play winning poker vs them. To me these '6 to a flop' games are pretty much a-b-c poker. Get good hands, draw-out, yada yada. Show the best hand. I don't care how drunk I am, (and trust me I've experimented with this thoroughly) I'm not going to start playing weak hands or making dumb calls. I may miss out on a few player reads, but playing the cards is easy. This is not true in a tougher game where you may have to start recalling your player's history or try to read their hand... and where any tells you may give off will hurt you.

#2. You need to be at a "first timer's" table.

By this I mean, you want to be at a table with a few people who are not big poker players and who find the idea of people drinking at the table fun. These are the sort of people who are going to hit the ATM when they bust out largely because you're drinking with 'em at the table.

Of course I try to find a table with these qualities if I'm going to drink, not vice versa.