Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2004, 01:17 PM

Default Suited Face Cards in EP

I'm having trouble with a few hands in early position, and I don't have enough hands in Poker Tracker yet to tell me if I'm playing these profitably.

Most books seem to break down pocket cards into 4 main categories: The biggies, Axs, pocket pairs, and suited connectors (usually examples used are 67s, etc.). I haven't been able to find much advice on the hands below. (Yes, I know they are technically suited connectors)

Typical Party $1/$2 games

EP
1 limper:
call with QJs, KTs, KJs, ATs (will call with JTs and QTs if table has been seeing a lot of flops)

raise with KQs

EP
1st in:
call with QJs, KTs, KJs, ATs
raise with KQs
muck with JTs, QTs (This is a lie. I want to muck these, but probably play them a decent amount of the time)

Am I leaking chips here? My Vol into pot after 16,000 hands is around 17.5%, so I don't think I play too many hands, but should I be messing with some of these out of position like this?

Also, should I be raising hands like ATs or KJs? I can't seem to work my brain around the logic either way, as they are drawing hands (want more players?), but also have good high card value. My problem is that I feel like I'll only be getting called by AQ, KQ, etc., hands that have me dominated, if I raise.

Thanks for any help,

Jesse
Old 04-28-2004, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Suited Face Cards in EP

IMO, all of the hands you listed are OK to play at the typical (loose/passive) party game. If you just catch top or middle pair, however, you need to be able to lay them down if you run into resistance. As long as you play well enough after the flop I believe each of these hands should be +EV. The 17.5% seems reasonable as well.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:55 PM

I raise A-10s in EP whether there's a limper or not. This is a stronger hand than K-Qs. Other than that, I think it's fine to limp with the others you list assuming the game is not too tight/aggressive.

Old 04-28-2004, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most books seem to break down pocket cards into 4 main categories: The biggies, Axs, pocket pairs, and suited connectors (usually examples used are 67s, etc.). I haven't been able to find much advice on the hands below.

[/ QUOTE ]

What books are these? I think you need to try reading a few more. It seems very clear that you have not read Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players (HPFAP) by, 2+2's own, David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth. Buy it, read it, and then read it again. If you already own it read it again.

It will clearly show you that there are more than 4 hand groupings. It will give advice and samples on how, when, and where to play each group.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:31 PM

I was exaggerrating a bit, I guess I just don't feel like most books cover the subject sufficiently. I haven't read HFAP, as I bought a copy used, and it hasn't arrived yet. I've read Super/System, Carson, Jones, Theory of Poker, Warren, and Vorhaus and Hilger's Internet specific books, as well as some of the more trashy stuff. I'm thrilled to hear this is covered in HFAP, and can't wait to read it. Thanks,

Jesse