Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2004, 02:02 AM

Default 30-60 Hand

Here's another "play this hand against Clark" post.

30-60 with $15 and $30 blinds at the Horseshoe. You are an ultra loose, somewhat tricky player who is very familiar with my play. You are generally passive preflop, and more aggressive/tricky postflop. You know that I know that you know.......

That said, play this hand how *you* would play it (i.e. not how the described player would play it). Just be aware of the table images.

I open raise 2 off the button. Folded to Hero in the SB who 3-bets with AhQd. BB folds, Clark calls.

Flop: Th 5c 3s. You bet, Clark calls.

Turn: 8d. You bet.

What do you do if Clark raises?

If he doesn't raise, what do you do on the river if no Ace or Queen come? Bet, check-call, check-fold?
Old 04-28-2004, 02:35 AM

Default Re: 30-60 Hand

If raised on the turn I fold. If not raised on the turn I check fold the river w/o improvement.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:56 AM

Clarky I wouldn't even have seen the flop. My cards hit the muck preflop.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:57 AM

I agree 100% with Vehn. There is no point in betting the river. He can't fold a better hand, (if you called the turn with AK or small pair you are also calling the river), and I dont think you can call him with a worse one. I would also fold if raised on the turn. I think the only two questions are, is your oppenent better off checking or betting the turn, and what should he do on the river assuming he leads on the turn, checks the river, and you bet him on the. I would likely throw my hand away, but there are some players who I would call here.

I do agree agree with his turn bet, but im interested in what other think about about it. I assume you may try to take the pot away from him on the turn regardless of your holding if he checks it to you.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:07 AM

Hey Mikey,

Dont you think Clark is raising with a pretty wide range of hands two off the button? I would guess he is gonna open raise with a lot of hands that you are likely to have pretty well dominated. I'm not sure folding AQ is right, although being heads up of position here wont be a dream come true either.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:17 AM

"I open raise 2 off the button. Folded to Hero in the SB who 3-bets with AhQd. BB folds, Clark calls."

when clark smooth calls the flop here im either check-calling the turn and river, or check-folding the turn (barring improvement) and i dont think it's close and it leans toward check-folding. calling a turn raise is completely out of the question. so basically i cant relate to your opponent's turn bet here at all clark, it makes zero sense to me.

if i check the the turn and clark checks behind i will bet the river for value no matter what comes since clark will call very often with A9, AJ, etc.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:18 AM

Default Agree *NM*

Old 04-28-2004, 03:18 AM

AQ. I play this as waiting hand. No crazy

I call your raise, I know you bet after flop, so checkraise.

When I bet fourth card and you raise, call there one bet get lucky ace or queen maybe. I play tight but not fold easy.

Then last card I check thinking you check. If you dont check then i have to wait more, fold.

Happysushi
Old 04-28-2004, 03:21 AM

If he raises:

Because I'm aggressive and tricky postflop, I don't think it's likely that I'm going to get Clark to fold a hand like top pair by 3-betting the turn. I might get him to fold something like 77, but I doubt it. However, I do think that I'll sometimes have the better hand, and that he'll sometimes be semibluffing with something like Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], or other overcards. One of the reasons that I think this is because I'm *not* all that aggressive preflop, so I'll frequently have missed overcards. If I were the sort of player who were capable of 3-betting before the flop with something like 55, and it doesn't sound like I am, then I think the hand plays differently.

I think the correct play is to 3-bet his turn raise. If Clark 4-bets, I fold (I don't think he'd 4 bet with one pair). On the river, if a Q or an A comes, I bet out on the river and call a raise. If a blank comes on the river, I check and call. If a K or a J comes on the river, I bet out and probably fold to a raise.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:50 AM

Clarkmeister is not a checker and caller. If he raises, I fold.

If he calls the turn (unlikely), I check the river and hope that he checks behind. If he bets, I have a decent ace to show down, so I would call and hope that he had a busted draw.