Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2004, 06:48 AM

Default Getting Crazy : AQs on the Button

Empire 15/30. Decent table; not great, but it'll do. SB and BB are both solid players. UTG is too loose preflop, but decent after that. CO is way too loose preflop and tries to be tricky postflop, sometimes ending up overaggressive.

I'm on the Button with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG limps, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, CO limps. Usually there's a raise and rarely this many limpers, so I decide to keep things in order and raise it up. The SB fold, the BB 3-bets, and all the limpers call. I just call. We're 6 to the flop for 18.5 SB's.

Flop comes: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The BB bets out and UTG raises. MP1 folds, MP2 folds, and the CO 3-bets. I call.

Let's stop there for a sec. How'd I do? Just want to make sure you think about it and come to a conclusion before getting more info on my opponents hands. Back to the action!

BB calls, UTG calls. There's 4 of us to the turn for 15 BB's.

Turn comes: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG checks, CO bets. I call, BB check-raises, UTG folds. CO calls, I call. 3 of us for 21 BB's.

River comes: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets, CO raises, I cold-call, BB 3-bets, CO calls, I fold.

Critique as necessary.

GoT
Old 04-23-2004, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Getting Crazy : AQs on the Button

We all have hands like this sometimes.

I think you have a fold on the flop, and it isn't close.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:20 AM

hi guy,

I also go with Nate and reccommend to fold the flop. There's nothing to get for you apart from a gutshot. There are 24.5 SB in the pot and you have to put in 3 yourself, which gives you 8/1 pot odds. Of course you could add the additional SB's you get from BB and UTG, but still, you have only 3 clean outs and many redraws.

However, you called the flop. Now the turn offers you another smooth point of exit. No matter what, the board looks that scary now, that you probably should to muck for nothing. possible boats, still a flush draw and meanwhile you don't have any clean outs anymore.

You seem fearless, because I see you still at the river. A ten arrived, but the worst one. You know your hand is worth close to nothing. What I don't get, you coldcall two on the river, but you fold to one more bet, although you get 29/1 on this call. Guy, if you go that far, don't make any expert laydowns for one more bet!
Old 04-23-2004, 08:52 AM

"What I don't get, you coldcall two on the river, but you fold to one more bet, although you get 29/1 on this call. Guy, if you go that far, don't make any expert laydowns for one more bet!"

When I read about the folding for one more after the way Got played the flop and turn I almost started twitching, as though my sense of order had been profoundly disturbed. In any case, this is strike two GoT. The first strike was saying the Mikey QTs flop call was okay, but the this one is high heat right at the belt. If you get one more strike, that means you are probably still making bad flop calls.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:01 AM

I'm just waking up here on the East Coast, but as my cup of coffee makes its way into my bloodstream I'm finding myself agreeing with Nate and Doc. You're getting 8:1 on the flop, but to draw at what?--since you have to believe that your A and Q outs are dirtier than those t-shirts that the obnoxious Australian guy launders on those Oxyclean infomercials. Indeed, without even considering the major action brewing ahead of you on the flop, the fact that the "solid" BB three-bet preflop strongly suggests a hand such as AA/KK/AK/QQ/JJ, all of which dominate your AQ.

Consequently, your only clean outs are the three non-spade tens. Hence, use your position on the button to respond appropriately to the growing fire beneath your feet, and fold.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The BB bets out and UTG raises. MP1 folds, MP2 folds, and the CO 3-bets. I call.

[/ QUOTE ]
i believe u should be done with ur hand when it is 3 bets to you on the flop. here are my thoughts:

1) u don't have the best hand
2) u have 3 outs
3) it may get capped
4) u might not hit on turn and it will likely be VERY expensive again to draw
5) u might hit on turn and still lose on river boat and flushes

yes, the backdoor flush helps a little, but it's too much trouble. there are 18 (pflop) + 9 (assume all call 3 bet) = 27 SBs in the pot in front of you, require you to call 3 cold. u were getting 9:1, for all the reasons i stated, i believe it's not good enough odds to chase.

Kenny
Old 04-23-2004, 11:22 AM

Fold the flop. Sure, with implied odds you're okay to call on the basis of a 4-outer, but that has problems. You don't have 4 outs, you have somewhere between 3 and 4. Plus, you may face a cap on the flop, further hurting your implied odds. And finally, even if you hit your T you are facing potential redraws from hands looking to make a flush or full house.

I agree with Nate, the fold isn't close.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:55 PM

I would have capped pre-flop.
I would have folded on the flop.
I would have folded on the turn.
I would have folded (for the initial two bets) on the river.

Other than that, we would have played it the same. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Results

Okay, looks like everybody thinks I played this one as badly as I do too. After the hand was over, I went back over the hand in my head, looked at the hand history, and immediately got up from my tables. Bleh. Probably the ugliest hand I've had in quite a while.

Everybody seems to think the flop call is horrendous. I really think it's actually pretty close. But the turn and river are ugly, and I think my biggest mistake in the hand was not capping preflop. Maybe misplayed on every street, although I really do think the flop is close.

GoT
Old 04-23-2004, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"What I don't get, you coldcall two on the river, but you fold to one more bet, although you get 29/1 on this call. Guy, if you go that far, don't make any expert laydowns for one more bet!"

When I read about the folding for one more after the way Got played the flop and turn I almost started twitching, as though my sense of order had been profoundly disturbed. In any case, this is strike two GoT. The first strike was saying the Mikey QTs flop call was okay, but the this one is high heat right at the belt. If you get one more strike, that means you are probably still making bad flop calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

get off the guy's case, here lol. everybody makes mistakes and he just happened to make a few of 'em in one hand, all fairly expensive (except the flop call, thats the ONLY possibly close decision postflop but with 3 to call i fold here as well.)

by the way, GoT, if you ever feel the need to play like this and are sitting with me, please let me know so i can adjust appropriately [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-barron