Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2004, 05:11 PM

Default When will I stop calling turn raises with top pair?

Hand 1:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $3.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 (poster) checks, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, MP3 folds, Button calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets, Button raises, Hero calls.

River: (8 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 10 BB, between Button and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (10 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qc Kd (one pair, kings).
Button shows Th Ts (three of a kind, tens).
Outcome: Button wins 10 BB. </font>

Hand 2:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) Gawdawful loose and passive table.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks. Yes, I know... muck muck muck.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, MP2 raises, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero 3-bets, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets, MP2 raises, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, MP2 bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 11.50 BB, between Hero and MP2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP2 (11.50 BB).</font>

Hero shows Tc Qd (two pair, queens and fours).
MP2 shows 7c 8c (flush, queen high).
Outcome: MP2 wins 11.50 BB. </font>

Blue Plate Special

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 bets, CO folds, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero raises, MP3 calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets, MP3 raises, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 11.50 BB, between MP3 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP3 (11.50 BB).</font>

Hero shows 6d As (two pair, aces and sixes).
MP3 shows 9s 4s (straight, seven high).
Outcome: MP3 wins 11.50 BB. </font>

I wound up with a winning session over 78 hands, because these people will pay off my raises with anything. I can't help but think I could win a lot more if I just let go of hands with slim outs to turn raises. It seems to be rare to run into somebody semi or full bluffing with a turn raise.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:14 PM

Default Re: When will I stop calling turn raises with top pair?

Hand 2, I muck preflop.
Hand 3, is a bummer. Two pair no good- sucks.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:21 PM

Hand 1 it would have cost you more if I got 10 10 you would know about it preflop

Hand 2 preflop muck poorish hand and extremely poor position

Hand 3 unlucky but the river never looked good, your raise on the turn is good but you should have check called river imo with board that nasty.

Regards

ML
Old 04-22-2004, 05:52 PM

Hand 1- I'd need to know the opponent before I fold on the turn. If he unknown, I think I check-call as well.

Hand 2-Easy fold preflop. But since you played it, easy fold on the turn. A smoothcall of a reraise on the flop, then a raise on the turn always equals big hand. But, most importantly, FOLD PREFLOP.

Hand 3-If you plan on calling a bet, bet the flop. Since you didn't do that, checkraise the turn. If he is on a flush or straight draw, charge him the max. If he isn't and he fold right there, that's not all bad.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:08 PM

hand 1: raise KQ preflop whenever there are limpers in front of you or you are 1st in. this is a tough fold and one i'm not sure i make. this is an easy hand to play if you raise preflop.

hand 2: you said it....muck muck muck preflop. otherwise, i think you played it fine. his turn raise was silly, and a note should be made that he WILL bluff raise the turn.

hand 3: i'm betting this every time. who would've thought he was semi-bluffing with a gutshot straight? true, the flush is a good possibility, in which case he will fold to your bet, but i could see him calling with a number of lesser hands, as well as raising with a number of lesser hands.(67, 56, A5, etc...)what an aweful player. hope you congratulated him on his win and put him on your buddy list!

cheers!

Old 04-22-2004, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3 unlucky but the river never looked good, your raise on the turn is good but you should have check called river imo with board that nasty.

Regards

ML

[/ QUOTE ]

what looks so nasty about it? you put him on a 4? for him to bet the flop with any 4 would be nuts.

4,5: stupid bet...whats he gonna do, push out overcards? not!

2,4: maybe some players would bet the flop with that, but limp with it after 1 limper in middle position? stupid.

4,6: i think he would 3-bet the turn, no?

flopped trips: he 3-bets the turn.

66: maybe, but call the turn raise? ugh!

44: same as above.

A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]: maybe, but this is the only logical hand a halfway decent player would play the way he did. and the poster didn't give us a read on him.

maybe i'm dumb, but i woulda played this the same way. am i missing something?

one thing is for sure...that guy stinks as a poker player!

cheers!

Old 04-22-2004, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A smoothcall of a reraise on the flop, then a raise on the turn always equals big hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously not.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3-If you plan on calling a bet, bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh!

[ QUOTE ]
Since you didn't do that, checkraise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

he did.

cheers!

Old 04-22-2004, 07:00 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

This is waaaaaay too loose. QT UTG+1? Muck that in every position before SB. It's such a worthless hand if you don't bring it in for a raise. In these games, I think you should also be raising KQo preflop in hand 1. As for hand 3, the flop call in a small pot with 2 to act behind you is completely unacceptable.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

hand 2: you said it....muck muck muck preflop. otherwise, i think you played it fine. his turn raise was silly, and a note should be made that he WILL bluff raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

He made the nut straight on the turn.