Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2004, 01:03 AM

Default What do you listen to when you play online?

Obviously music can really set the mood when you settle in for an online session. I never listen to classical music but I've found that it is by far the best genre of music for playing poker. It calms you down, lets you think clearly, and if you're like me it actually makes you feel smarter.

Lately I've switched to SNGs and I've found that if I loop Pachelbel's Canon in D 3 times, then play Copland's Hoedown from Rodeo (the Beef its what's for dinner song) twice, and follow that with the William Tell Overture, and hopefully if I'm still alive finish it off with Bethoven's 9th Symphony its perfect for the different stages that SNG's move through.

Pachelbel is slow and laid back which helps for being patient early, then the Beef song wakes you the hell up cause its level 4 and you need to start playing already, then the William Tell Overture is sort of both for when you have to make the critical decisions and be aggressive but you also need to be patient at times and the William Tell song is a good balance. Then, God willing if I'm still alive by the beginning of Bethoven's 9th its both urgent and triumphant with a lot of danger mixed into it which I think is perfect for heads up or even bubble play.

But enough about me, what does everyone else listen to. If this question gets posted every month then I apologize, I'd imagine it could but I've never seen it.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:23 AM

Default Re: What do you listen to when you play online?

On constant repeat.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:30 AM

Haha, he should have named his album "Well Hung".
Old 04-22-2004, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It calms you down, lets you think clearly, and if you're like me it actually makes you feel smarter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it definitely changes how your brain is working. In the right/left brain thread from last week, Homer posted a link to a test that I took several times. I noticed that the auditory orientation score went up if I listen to music while taking the test.

I posted in a similar thread in the Psychology forum, but didn't get any views on how to exploit this.

I listen to pretty much random older pop/R&B/blues/rock music while I play. I wouldn't expect music selection to have a significant effect on my win rate, but I still find this kind of stuff incredibly interesting.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:55 AM

Sigur Ros - Angels of the Universe Soundtrack

My favorite classical CD.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:35 AM

Personally, after a bad beat Metallica is the best music to help me avoid tilt play. I don't know why, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it works for me.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:57 AM

sigur ros is a solid choice!!!
almost had a chance to seem them in concert...oh well, maybe next time.

i'm usually listening to whatever game is on the TV (hoops and hockey playoffs these days).
or i'm half-heartedly watching MASH re-runs on the hallmark channel or a clint eastwood movie on TBS/TNT/TurnerSouth/TurnerClassic or AMC because one of those 5 channels seems to be running a Clint film almost every night of the week.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:00 AM

by the way...one of the Dirty Harry films is on TBS right now....what a shocker.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:09 AM

thrice, thursday, and anything related [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img].
Old 04-22-2004, 06:02 AM

I just download whatever i feel like listening to. Layely, lots of beatles, since i am going through that phase late. A lot of Elliot Smith, which is rather calming and makes you happy you didn't kill yourself like he did. Last summer I listened to a lot of journey's greatest hits, because they rock hard and I needed something to do while I drank six packs of pbr. . .