Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2004, 12:34 PM

Default Wait List Coding: Harder than Temporal Physics?

What is it about waiting lists that seems to be beyond the skills of coders of the poker sites? Even some of the sites known for good-quality software (UB, for example), seem to have trouble with this.

Party and its skins have the well-known cutting in line issue (I've had things like this happen with UB too, where I will actually move backwards on a waiting list after joining). For the past few weeks, it's been impossible to join a waiting list at all on Prima. Most of the sites I've played won't allow you to join a list when the table isn't currently "full" even if there are people on the list ahead of you preventing you from just sitting down (example, 10-seat table, 9 seated, 2 on wait list, one empty but "reserved" seat, result: can't sit down, can't get on line). Crytptologic (the software that makes Pacific look cutting-edge [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) kicks you off your current table if you get to front of the line on a waiting list (currently they also seem to reserve seats for people who don't exist [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]). Pacific, oddly, seems to have waiting list software that actually works, although that certainly doesn't make up for the low quality of the software otherwise.

I admit I've done no web-site programming, but I have done a fair bit of other sorts, and I just don't see how this stuff could be that difficult. I guess I don't have a real serious question here, but I'm curious. Any ideas as to why this sort of thing is such a problem for poker sites? Is there a real technical problem, do the site managers just not consider it a significant issue, or are the people on job just feeble?

Unc, who just felt like ranting a bit [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2004, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Wait List Coding: Harder than Temporal Physics?

they're too busy counting money to worry about things like working software. i probably would be too.