Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2004, 09:24 AM

Default General questions: TPWK

I dont have the actual hands but in the 1st i had K7s and was LMP.4 to the flop of K 9 4 and an EP bets,I as in 2nd position and raised to knock those behind me out,and they did fold. not sure of whether i had 2nd best or best hand at that stage.
Turn was a 8,now in these type of situations if the EP bets what should i do call down or fold.
Why would he bet into me after i rasied the flop and he just called,usually means he has caught some thing on the turn?doesnt it?
now if he just checks should i take the free card or bet into him? I might prefer to bet here,but i suppose it depends on the player.
to sumarise.I have problems with top pair and weak kicker,I think rasing the flop to claer out behind is good i just am never sure what to do after that!! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2004, 09:50 AM

Default any thoughts,really need help on this one!!

Old 04-18-2004, 01:49 PM

Default Re: General questions: TPWK

These hands always depend on your opponent. Would they bet second pair? How do they play TPWK themselves? Would they have bet it on the flop, would they lay it down?

Given that you don't know, I think raising the flop, taking the free card, and calling the river plays the hand cheaply, and then you know a little more about your opponent.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:04 PM

you were absolutely right to raise the flop w/ top pair. when he bets the turn, with this board, i put him squarely on 89s or 88. call his bet and if you do not improve, i think you can fold to his river bet.

the real issue here, though is playing such cards to begin with. K7s is a very weak hand no matter what positional advantage you may have. if you have frequent trouble playing tpwk, then you are playing too many poor starting hands.

i'll tell you just what i keep trying to hammer into my brother's thick skull(over $1k in online losses since December, playing probably less than 5k hands)......the fact that cards are suited only SLIGHTLY increases their value. therefore, if you wouldn't even consider playing K7o or Q5o or other such trash hands, for God's sake stop playing them just because they are suited. i guarantee, you will see much better results if you take that advice.

cheers!
Old 04-18-2004, 02:16 PM

Noodles,

i'll even go one step further here.

if you find that these types of hands are too hard to fold, you may be an "action" player. that is, one who plays for the thrill of playing. you will have large upticks in profit, followed by large losses. if that is the case, and you can afford to do it COMFORTABLY, then by all means, continue.

however, if you are hurt by your losses, you may indeed have a slight gambling addiction. if this is the case, it could turn into a very destructive gambling addiction which you will need help dealing with.

cheers!
Old 04-20-2004, 02:44 PM

Default Are you for real?:??

"you were absolutely right to raise the flop w/ top pair. when he bets the turn, with this board, i put him squarely on 89s or 88. call his bet and if you do not improve, i think you can fold to his river bet"

So only 88 or 89s? You dont think there is anything else he could be on?
Fold on the river,you said he is on either 89s or 88,so why would i fold???
Have you been drinking [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2004, 02:47 PM

Default Are you for real? Part 2

"however, if you are hurt by your losses, you may indeed have a slight gambling addiction. if this is the case, it could turn into a very destructive gambling addiction which you will need help dealing with."
What are you talking about?
Maybe you are the one with some kind of addiction?
Old 04-20-2004, 03:04 PM

You wouldn't have been in that situation if you hadn't limped with a garbage hand like K7s in LMP after only one limper. I wouldn't play this hand unless I was in CO or Button and had at least three limpers ahead of me.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:13 PM

What Kxs would you call ok to play? Would you play KTs in EP?
Old 04-20-2004, 03:26 PM

The first problem is playing K7s ANYWHERE!!!!. OK, on the button with at least 4 other limpes is ok, but when playing this hand you are looking to make a flush, not TP. Playing this hand any other way is like saying "I hate money."

EP could easily have KQo, or even KJs. If he had AK I think you would have heard about it pre-flop. But chances are, you are dominated.

Now that you're in this mess......
I like the flop raise to try to isolate. The cold callers means (a) they are retarded or (b) they have a piece and you are in MASSIVE trouble.

If it went to HU, I'd check call it down unimproved. And then write on the chalkboard 100 times

I will not play King-rag.