Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2004, 01:19 AM

Default NO idea how to play this...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

CO ($36.85)
Hero ($19.30)
SB ($19.80)
BB ($36.23)
UTG ($25)
UTG+1 ($8.15)
MP1 ($25.80)
MP2 ($46.55)
MP3 ($27.70)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP3 bets $3, CO folds, Hero raises to $6, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $6, MP1 folds, MP3 calls $3.

Turn: ($21.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG bets $3, MP3 calls $3, Hero calls $3.

River: ($30.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG bets $15.5 (All-In), MP3 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $46
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $30.50, won by UTG.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: $15.50, overbet by UTG.</font>

I still don't know how I should have played this. Pushed on the flop maybe?
Old 04-15-2004, 01:32 AM

Default Re: NO idea how to play this...

Stop minraising. Please. It hurts my eyes.

scrub
Old 04-15-2004, 01:37 AM

So minraise...never? (Seriously)

How would you play this hand (bet amounts would be awesome).

Thanks man,
Ben
Old 04-15-2004, 01:48 AM

if you raise big on the flop every hand except AJ that calls is good for you, and if they fold you win a nice little pot, oh well. given that you decided to take your chances with the turn it looks like you did what you had to do on the next two streets. that's the worst possible turn for you, so it makes the min-raise look even worse.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:52 AM

OK, here it is. Sometimes you can minraise, but it's very rare. Essentially, minraise means a MONSTER or a pile of trash. Your hand was neither of those things. (I don't condone a minraise with trash, but people seem to do that a lot). If you had flopped the nut straight or something and wanted a little more money in, go for it, minraise. This kind of hand, you HAVE to raise more, as there are 12 cards that you desperately don't want to see--As, Js, and 9s. 10s aren't even that pleasant for you, though better.

There is about $6 in the pot when it gets to you and you have about $18. Smells like an all-in to me. Make them pay.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:04 AM

(1) In a bunch of your posts over the past week, your stack has been pretty short at the beginning of a hand. You should never start a hand with less than the max-buy if you can avoid it. Party stacks are short enough as it is.

(2) Preflop looks fine. On short stacks like this against bad players, I could see putting in a raise sometimes too. The money is shallow enough that you don't have to sweat getting the money in with TPGK in the right situation.

(3) So there was 3.50 in the pot preflop. MP3 went ahead and made it 3 to go on the flop. You've got right around 19 left. Do you feel comfortable getting all in against these guys, or are you going to be losing more often than not when all the cash gets in? My guess is that you're going to be ahead often enough to justify putting in a decent sized raise on the flop. How about making it 10 total on the flop, planning to push on the turn if a card you don't hate comes off? How often do you think you would be ahead if either player reraised you all in?

I think you played the rest of the hand fine. You had the odds to call on the turn trying to fill up, you couldn't get away from your hand if you got raised by a J, and you had position.

River fold seems good to.

scrub
Old 04-16-2004, 08:54 AM

The $3 min-raise that you make invites just about any realistic draw to continue. If you are going to raise, RAISE.

JW