Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2004, 07:29 PM

Default TOP made me money here

Six handed 10-20 game online. Weak Utg who likes to limp a lot limps. I am in CO and raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Fishy BB calls and we see flop three ways with me in prime position.

Flop-K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to me and I bet, both opponents call.

Turn-K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB now comes to life and bets out. Utg calls and I call.

River-K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB now checks and Utg comes out betting. I call as does BB. Utg wins with QJ for nut straight.

Pipedream
Old 04-13-2004, 09:56 PM

Default Re: TOP made me money here

Wow, I guess you must need a 'Meister or Fox' at the end of your nickname to get any responses around here.

Pipedream
Old 04-13-2004, 10:06 PM

I probably would have raised the turn since I don't see the 7h improving many hands. If I got called in both spots, or maybe just one, I would have checked behind on the river unless I improved.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:44 AM

Default Yes you do N/M

Old 04-14-2004, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Yes you do N/M

LOL, ya I figured that.

Pipedream
Old 04-14-2004, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, ya I figured that.

Pipedream

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't reccomend you change your name to PipeMeister. That is too suggestive.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:26 AM

This is how I would have played it.

Preflop I would raise just as you did.

On the flop I would have done the same thing.

On the turn now, when the BB comes to life and bets and UTG calls, you have two options.

1) fold.

or

2) Raise

You would raise so that you can probably get a free showdown if you don't improve your hand, and if you do improve then you can bet again.

Just because UTG has a straight this time doesn't mean that every time you are in this type of situation and the nuts seem to get there and you have a strong hand that it means to just call on the river.

By the way, what made you call on the river and not raise??

Before you answer that, answer this....... what made you call on the turn and not raise??
Old 04-14-2004, 08:10 AM

LOL. Wow now that I read it in print and say it aloud you're so right about that.

Pipedream
Old 04-14-2004, 08:19 AM

Ok. I chose simply to call on the turn because BB's play emulated exactly how he played a previous hand, where he made two pair on turn and bet out. I probably should have mentioned that in the original post. I felt like folding here but decided to make the call, probably the worst of the three options.

On the river I wasn't too sure if my hand was good or not when Utg bet out when the dreaded Ace fell. I thought to myself, 'uh oh....QJ?' and went for an overcall. I know if I raised BB would probably fold a great majority of his hands but if I call he'll call almost for sure. I think the way I played it on the river I lost the least amount possible and would make the same amount if I raised and was ahead.

Pipedream
Old 04-14-2004, 02:09 PM

Let's take one at a time.

"Ok. I chose simply to call on the turn because BB's play emulated exactly how he played a previous hand, where he made two pair on turn and bet out. I probably should have mentioned that in the original post. I felt like folding here but decided to make the call, probably the worst of the three options."

If you think you should fold, fold. Don't be afraid to do what your mind tells you.

"On the river I wasn't too sure if my hand was good or not when Utg bet out when the dreaded Ace fell. I thought to myself, 'uh oh....QJ?' and went for an overcall. I know if I raised BB would probably fold a great majority of his hands but if I call he'll call almost for sure. I think the way I played it on the river I lost the least amount possible and would make the same amount if I raised and was ahead."

Check out this one post made a few weeks ago, made by Tommy Angelo I think It's titled "rough escape with A9o" its posted in the Mid-high stakes forum.

Read the whole thread. That hand plays almost similar to yours. Make sure you read the entire thread, and then read his reasoning to folding on the turn and not playing on.

Tommy Angelo's hand and your hand are almost exactly alike.
Read it and compare it.