Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2004, 01:37 AM

Default example hand, can you help me adjust to internet poker?

long time reader, first time poster. i play nlhe at school once a week, .25/.50, which i beat for about 6 bb/hr. since i hear so much about bad play on the internet (players in my game who i know are worse than me are claiming good results) i thought id give it a shot. since i don't have a real big bankroll (300-400) id like to take some of the "getting used to online play" learning curve away, and you all are already helping me with that. here's a hand i played tonight where i think left some money on the table. it's not really an action hand, but i'd really appreciate the advice on how best to play it.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (10 handed)

BB ($7.05)
UTG ($18.70)
UTG+1 ($10)
UTG+2 ($21.45)
MP1 ($8.80)
MP2 ($2.45)
MP3 ($8.35)
CO ($44.05)
Hero ($16.80)
SB ($7.15)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG folds, UTG+1 (poster) checks, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.25, CO folds, Hero calls $0.25, SB folds, BB checks.

this is "generally" the best play, right?

Flop: ($1.10) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, Hero bets $1.1, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls $1.10.

Turn: ($3.30) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero bets $2.5, MP3 calls $2.50.

Would you guys bet more here given that her stack could commit her to a losing hand?

River: ($8.30) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Who bets here, and how much if she had, say, 10 left? She has about 4 left in this case, do you set her all in? (i'm sort of expecting a "yes")

Final Pot: $8.30

Results:
Hero shows Td Ac (one pair, aces).
MP3 shows Kd Qs (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins $8.30.

i really appreciate any advice. i just really need to know if someone can tell me that, given this is a .10/.25 UB game, what sort of hands should i expect to see here? will i be seeing KQ here very often? will someone who hits their flush flatcall that 2.50 turn bet with only $4 left out of position? will people with just 1/2 the pot in their stack often check the river when their hand beats mine in this situation? (this is a "no" im thinking) do you think the average UB player would have called a $4 river bet allin with a hand that i beat? also, can anyone say whether the .25/.50 games on UB are going to be more lucrative than the .10/.25 for someone with moderate skill? (if you say someone with moderate skill wouldn't have checked behind on the river, keep in mind that this is my very first real money game online so i was playing a little timid) is it generally a good idea to play .25/.50 online with a $300-$400 bankroll? are these just stupid questions? (sorry there's so many, just answer one or two if you could) thanks.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:16 AM

Default Re: example hand, can you help me adjust to internet poker?

I normally play the 1/2 party tables. I would also play this hand basically just how you did. The bets seem about the correct size on the flop and turn. I agree with call preflop too. On the river, I would check behind the caller, in this case you lost money, but normally you won't get any action from a hand you can beat. It will come down to kicker most times, and yours is ok, but not great, so check. So, I say good play overall, but I don't play your limits, so others may have better advice.

JKratzer

P.S. Welcome to the forums.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:29 AM

thanks for your reply. in this case i think my 10 kicker actually was great, because the Q and J were on the board and i didnt think there was any way she limped and just called the flop with AK. that's my problem with my check, i was really only losing to 2-pair or better and she would have had to check that with only $4 left and $8-something in the pot for my bet to cost me money. hopefully somebody can tell me how likely that is in these games. (gomez? you play these tables, right?)

if you dont think many people would call 1/2 the pot there with a losing hand like KQ, that's a different story and i'd buy that reasoning. i certainly can't blame you for not being familiar with the quality of play at these small stakes. im really hoping someone who has played them before can educate me so i don't have to wait and see for myself.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:57 AM

Can't say I like the limp preflop if you're going to play ATo. In general I don't like playing ATo. But you've got one limper in front and good position, so a raise is a must. I don't want your blinds seeing the flop cheaply.

Flop bet's good, turn bets good, I think the river check is reasonable.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:49 AM

Raise preflop.

At higher stakes, probably even party's $100, that turn bet will be a losing bet. Here's it's very good.