Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2004, 06:11 PM

Default An Unusual Line For KK

Hey all,

Party 15/30 this afternoon. First limit poker that I've played in almost two months. Ho-hum kind of session; been playing tight, stuck a couple hundred after my JJ ran into QQ in a set over set. Anyway, here's the hand.

Mildly loose UTG+1 limps. Aggressive player limps in the CO (first time I can remember him calling rather than raising vs. a single limper). Mildly loose button limps. SB (just recently sat; seems a little aggressive) raises. I call in the BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. All limpers call; 5 to the flop, which comes:

J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets, I call, UTG+1 folds, CO raises, button folds, SB calls, I call. Turn comes:

9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB leads out again, I call, CO raises, SB calls, I call. River comes:

4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, I check, CO bets, SB folds, I raise...

Love it or hate it, and why? It wasn't the way that I intended to play the hand; it just kinda happened this way. Thanks in advance.

ML4L
Old 04-09-2004, 06:18 PM

Default Re: An Unusual Line For KK

Of course, it's good to sometimes vary your play with AA and KK, but I think that it has much more merit in B&M games with more observant opponents. I'll still do it sometimes on Party, but usually in a shorthanded pot. When you've got a big field of these idiots, that's when you want to squeeze every last cent of EV by pounding it preflop. You've got the best of it before the flop. PUNISH them for limping in with garbage hands.

Old 04-09-2004, 08:01 PM

Hate it. The pot's already got several small bets and several players in it preflop and you have the 2nd best hand. Automatic 3-bet. Way too many people call an extra two bets after limping. Take advantage of that. There is no reason to play anything other than ABC poker in this preflop situation. Take it from there.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:10 PM

I agree 100%. Four players, I'm not looking for deception. If I have a chance to eliminate one or two who'll have position on me for the enxt three round, great. If they want to put two more small bets in when I have pocket kings, pretty good too.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:13 PM

"It wasn't the way that I intended to play the hand; it just kinda happened this way."

What did you intend?
Old 04-09-2004, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

SB leads out again, I call, CO raises, SB calls, I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the turn, Why didn't you wake up and 3 bet here, On the change up line you took, I think this is a good place to get back those bets you gave up by lying in wait preflop and flop. I know you're hoping for a replay of that turn action on the river, but being out of position, I think it's too risky to wait another round to get some more chips in there.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:41 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

position or not, i wouldn't WANT to knock them out. i would reraise for value.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:51 AM

there is too much calling from ur side here, raise the sucker on the turn, y letting them draw that cheap? if an 8 comes on the river u an just as good fold ur hand!
Old 04-10-2004, 08:48 AM

sometimes i think people play hands really weirdly, just so they can make a post on the forum entitled "an unusual line".

there's no shame in just betting and raising at every possible opportunity, you know.