Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2004, 04:40 PM

Default Was my thinking correct here?

I'd like to hear any comments people have on the thought process that went into my play here, and whether it was the right way to look at the situation on each street. I want to make sure that I'm not only doing the right thing, but that I'm doing it for the right reason.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Thought process: AQo is a strong hand, but it doesn't like much company. I'll raise to thin the field.

Flop: (10 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Thought process: a pretty ragged flop. I have overcards and a backdoor straight draw. Given the size of the pot, I can call one bet to see another card.

Turn: (7 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Thought process: I still have overcards and I picked up a gutshot draw to the nuts. I can call another bet. But my chances of sucking out don't justify a raise, given the long odds on the gutshot, and the risk that my overcard outs are not clean.

River: (10 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

Though process: Yee-ha, the nuts! Please re-raise me! Oh, well. I'll take it even without the re-raise.

Final Pot: 16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows As Ks (one pair, kings).
UTG shows 7d 9d (straight, jack high).
Hero shows Ac Qd (straight, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 16 BB. </font>
Old 04-09-2004, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Was my thinking correct here?

hmmmm...in this case i think taht if you are going to play beyond the flop you should raise to try and get heads up and get hands like K9/A6 out and increase your chances of winning the pot...on the turn i really don't think you can call here you are getting only 8-1 on a 11-1 draw and will probably notget paid off very well since the field is small

i bet this put UTG on tilt for a while [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2004, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
on the turn i really don't think you can call here you are getting only 8-1 on a 11-1 draw

[/ QUOTE ]

A nine or a king gives him a straight.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:08 PM

Raise the flop to force out weak draws such as gutshots and try for a free card.

Look more closely. You picked up a double bellybuster on the turn, not a gutshot.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
on the turn i really don't think you can call here you are getting only 8-1 on a 11-1 draw and will probably notget paid off very well since the field is small

[/ QUOTE ]

I also have A and Q as potential (though possibly dirty) outs. Even just had the gutshot alone, my implied pot odds are probably close to or slightly better than 11:1. With the pot so big, I doubt that anyone folds on the river unless he was on a draw he missed completely. I do admit that if my only possibility of winning was by making the gutshot, then the call was very borderline.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:13 PM

You had two cards that gave you the straight (9 or K) as well as overcards. Easy turn call.

I agree that you should have raised the flop though. That's a perfect flop to raise after raising preflop.

T
Old 04-09-2004, 05:22 PM

Default Oops...

i missed that it was a double gutshot, but still you should raise the flop if youre gonna continue...
Old 04-09-2004, 05:42 PM

Raise the flop.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Look more closely. You picked up a double bellybuster on the turn, not a gutshot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, you're right! Thanks for pointing it out. In the heat of play, I often miss stuff like that. But I have less excuse for this when analyzing it afterward. I guess I need more practice reading the board.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:09 PM

Flop: (10 SB) 8, 6, T (5 players)
...a pretty ragged flop.

Any time there are three cards to a straight, it is NOT a ragged flop.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]