Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Checkraise vs risk of free card

I think the checkraise on the flop was a reasonable play, figuring that with 5 opponents someone is bound to bet. But if not for the bet by the CO, I would have given all 5 of them a free card. At a typical Party .5/1 table, is it better just to bet out?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds.

River: (10 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 04-09-2004, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Checkraise vs risk of free card

I think this worked out well for you this time because you got everybody on a draw to call 2 bets cold.

However, I think if there's any chance, no matter how remote, that it might get checked through, you absolutely have to bet. Since nobody raised before the flop, I think you need to lead out. Letting a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] fall off here would be a real bummer.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:08 PM

Dana33,

You should raise this hand pre-flop. Dispite your bad position KQs is a strong hand and plays well multiway. 6 people for 2 bets each Mmmmmm that's nice [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

On the flop I like to bet and hope it is raised so I can 3 bet. Just a preference I guess. As CC pointed out it would really suck if it gets checked around and a Spade falls on the turn.

Rest of the hand looks pretty routine.

TheRake
Old 04-09-2004, 02:16 PM

Raise pre-flop. Suited broadway cards play very well in multi-way pots, even from the SB.

I would bet the flop, hoping to trap some callers and get a chance to 3-bet. That you check-raised the CO in this hand isn't good as you made the field face two cold when you really want them all to call as the pot is not big and many will be drawing thin/dead. Luckily, you got called anyway. Had you raised pre-flop, check-raising here would be better because they'd be more correct to call with thin draws, but I still wouldn't do it because you don't know where the bet is coming from.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:20 PM

Hi TheRake,

I'm glad your posting more again. It's like you read my mind as I was writing my post, yet somehow managed to post yours 8 minutes before mine! Good post.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As CC pointed out it would really suck if it gets checked around and a Spade falls on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be OK. What would really suck is if no spade fell and you missed all those bets! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

All sarcasm aside, I agree with both a pf raise and leading out on the flop. Both good points.