Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2004, 11:06 AM

Default Was I right to slow down on the river

Im a very new player and this was the first time Ive gotten AA playing online.

UB .25/.50 (by the way dows anyone know of a converter for UB histories?)

DeadWallet has A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in CO

UTG folds, UTG+1 limps, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, DeadWallet raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1, checks, DeadWallet bets, BB raises, call, call, call

<font color="blue">uh-oh looks like BB might have a set</font>

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

cool, made the straight, dont have to worry about the set anymore.

BB bets, call, call, DeadWallet raises, call, call, call

River: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

<font color="blue">on no, a flush with all this calling Im sure someone was on a flush draw but I dont want to fold the AA's so I go into call mode</font>

BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 bets, DeadWallet calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds

Results (white):<font color="white">
MP2 shows Ks6s and my hand is good

afterwords MP2 says "worth a shot"
</font>
Im looking for comments on the hand in general, but mostly on slowing down because of the 3 flush on the board. I would have bet if it had been checked to me, but in retrospect, I dont think anyond without a flush would have called so that probably would have been a mistake...

what do you think?

oops meant to post this in micro limits
Old 04-07-2004, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Was I right to slow down on the river

I doubt the final heart made the flush. If a diamond came I would have been more concerned. I raise the river and possibly get a nine to call or even two pair. You may end up even splitting the pot with another ace. Or if you think that a weaker hand will call but not call a raise and you can win the extra bet.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:44 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i think you played it fine. hands like k6o will probably fold the river here after making a stab at it, and you'll get called or reraised by better hands.

also, a "set" is a pocket pair + 1 on the board, e.g. 55 with an AK5 flop. A5 with a K55 flop is "trips".
Old 04-07-2004, 01:57 PM

Other than being WAAAAAAAAAAAY too quick to put BB on a set just because he check-raised a flop bet that Ray Charles saw coming, you played fine. I would've thought about 3-betting the flop, but raising the turn is a good play here too. If the turn isn't a K, do you still raise it? On the river, you may get called if you raise, but going for the overcalls makes more sense.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:01 PM

I might consider the BB with a flopped straight check/raising to make the diamand flush draws pay double. Which means only the non-diamond 10's (3 outs) makes your hand.
And low and behold, what comes on the turn...
I like your raise on the turn with the nut straight, making flush drawers pay even more. Even though you may be chopping the pot with another ace.