Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2004, 04:43 AM

Default UB 5 + .50

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get a little more serious and consistent in my online play. It seemed that I was doing well in SNGs only to piss away my winnings in ring games. Last week I started a quest to really beef up my game, play with more consistency and with some solid goals in mind.

I started with some $30 in my account, so I'm playing the $5 + .50 SnGs on UB. Since I've been keeping track I am 38/74 placing in the money: 22 firsts, 12 seconds and 4 thirds.

I'm playing a strategy similar to the one that's going around here (benfranklin's I believe) -- real tight but aggressive in the early rounds, trying not to get below 800 in chips... then come out swinging when the blinds get up to 50-100 and we're down to 4 or 5 players. I find that I'm comfortable as long as I have 1500+ chips going into the final three.

This week I've started playing two at a time. While I enjoy it more, I feel my booking suffers significantly. I actually wrote my own program (ultimatebook.net) to act as a poor man's in-game pokertracker. This seemed to help when I first started... but when I play two tables at a time I feel I'm playing entirely the cards with little regard for the personalities.

My two at a time stats have been comparable to my "lifetime" stats (10/22) but that's obviously too small of a sample to really gauge anything. However, I feel like even if there is a slight drop in my overall win rate the increased hourly expectation might work be worth it over time.

I would like to make somewhere in the neighborhood of $100-$200 per month playing in these SnGs. I'm thinking of 2-3 sets of two simultaneous SNGs a night. Here are some of the questions I'd love help in answering:

What's a realistic expectation for win/loss ratio at the $5 level? $10?
What kind of bank roll should I have to play the 10 + 1 tables? What if I want to play two at a time?
Should I even be at UB? Are the games better elsewhere?
What are your thoughts on playing multi-tables?

I'd love to hear your personal experience: what kind of consistent income have you guys made playing SNGs? What strategy for attacking SNGs gives you your best hourly rate?

That's alot of questions for a first time poster... thank you all for your time.

Greg