Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2004, 03:49 AM

Default O8 - KKJJ hand

I'm playing in a 50/100 Omaha8 / Stud8 game. It is Omaha 8, currently 6 handed and I am in the cutoff. Everyone folds to me, and I hold Ks-Kh-Js-Jh. I raise.

Only the big blind calls, he's a mid-aged geeky MIT type who is very arrogant in the way he plays, the way his facial reactions tick, etc.

The flop is a decent flop for me I guess, in the point that it is a high kind of flop. It is Qs-9s-7h. I have a straight draw (need a Ten) and a King high spade flush draw...as well as the Ten of spades for the straight flush.

Geeky Arrogant guy checks, I bet, he calls.

The Turn is a Ten of clubs, making my straight. He bets out. I raise, he calls. I figured I have the current nuts with a draw to the second nut flush. I'm a bit worried about him having a set or two pair, so I'm hoping the board does not pair on the river.

The River is a Ten of Hearts...two Tens, I'm not so happy now. He checks, I check. I did not like the board pairing, he will call with a Full House or KJ. He'd probably call too with J8, but is he just as likely to have J8 as a Full House in this case? I don't like opening up the betting again, I just want a showdown. Too chicken?

Result in white

<font color="white"> He shows AAxx for two pairs, Aces and Tens. I win. </font>

Thoughts on my play and his play appreciated.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:30 PM

Default Re: O8 - KKJJ hand

depends on how he plays, but in most heads-up o8 pots in a six-handed game, i suspect you will get a call from a worse hand here. however, if you're not confident you can make the right play if he check-raises, there is a lot to be said for not re-opening the betting.

when i say it depends on the player, i mean is this the type of guy who would play this way if he holds something like Q9 or Q7, or is it likely that the turn card helped him to raise then? if you strongly suspect that the ten made his hand good enough to raise the turn, it is probably best to check.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:15 PM

Default Re: O8 - KKJJ hand

In a pot limit game I would almost certainly check behind. In a limit game, I would give bettng a lot more thought and it would be very player dependent.