Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2004, 08:40 AM

Default 55 after a raise

I know there is a post around, which exactly handels about the question, wheter to pay 2 cold with 55 after a raise. It actually happened to me, when the following weird situation occured.

Ok, I'm playing my weekly 30/60$ and sit left to a solid, for my sense a bit weak/tight player called Hans (ok, I know I'm weak myself, before you start bitching [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

I look down at the cards and find black 5's. Hans open-raises out of turn, so he takes back money. Likely he didn't scare anyone off, because to EP players (very weak ones) deceide to limp although it's pretty obvious Hans will raise. The blinds are likely to call the raise too (they almost always pay). So I got five players, which I think will be almost good enough to call (I know it would be 7 to be precise, but my positions also pretty cool), so I cold call. What now happens is, that the rest folds, blinds call and UTG reraises (he's almost all-in by now). Ok, I'm damning myself when it comes to me, but I of course pay that one too. Six players to the flop for 3sb.

Flop: 2 3 5 rainbow

SB bets, BB calls, UTG calls all-in, EP calls, Hans calls, I raise. They all call.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet, SB calls, EP calls, Hans mucks.

River: 6

Checked to me and the chicken I am I check too. I don't know wheter you guys bet the set again, but SB is tricky and will almost surely go for a checkraise when he has a four, and EP is the kind of 'any two can win' player.

Results in white:

<font color="white"> All-in guy had K4s for the main pot </font>
<font color="white"> I take down the side pot </font>

Ok, how was my play? Was anything sensible? I think I made a mistake being in that pot in the first line, or what do you think? Thanks for your answers!
Old 04-01-2004, 08:48 AM

Default Re: 55 after a raise

If I knew for sure that I was going to have five opponents in a hand, then I would call a pre-flop raise with any pocket pair.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Re: 55 after a raise

I definitely bet the river.

The pot just isn't big enough for me yet.