Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2004, 04:56 PM

Default Did ya hear the one about..,

the 68 yr old man who walked into a confessional and told the priest that he just made love to a beautiful 21 yr old. The priest, not recognizing the man as a member of his parish, asked him, "Are you a member of my flock?" [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

The old man replied. "No, I'm Jewish."

The priest was puzzled. "Why then, are you here telling me this?"

The old man said proudly, "I'm telling everyone!" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Well that's how I feel today. After several unsuccessful attempts at multitable tournaments and reading Sklansky's TPFAP, I made it to my first final table of a mutli.

It was a $10/1 Limit HE tourney on UB with 131 players. I started by limping into alot of hands in the first couple of orbits, until the blinds hit about $25/50. I was able to win several small pots, and a few larger ones and built a small chip lead. Then I put on the brakes and played very few hands after that.

The things that really stuck in my mind at this point were, "what do I need to do to survive and finish in the money?" Well, I stayed away from marginal hands and played, what I would classify, as very weak/tight. I did not want alot of callers, play any hands that could be dominated and just played patiently.

An example was that I mucked KK after flopping an Ace, mucked TT and 88 when in EP with larger stacks at the table while keeping the Gap concept in mind throughout.

The play was very serendipitous in that sitting and watching players push each other around and giving up their chips did nothing but help me improve my chip position even though I played very few hands and gladly gave up my blinds.

My chip stack never climbed above 5,200T until I reached the final table. I told my wife, once I made the money, that I would be happy with a 5th place finish. Then I hit a hand against a difficult opponent where I gave up half my chips. I resigned myself at that point that to finishing in 7th.

Well as fate would have it, I got to play a couple hands that allowed me to win the blinds while other players busted out. After doubling up a couple of times, my chip stack hit about 12,000t at one point.

In the end, I went all in holding AJ after flopping tptk, but ran into a set of fours and busted out in third place.

Thanks to S&M and the 2+2ers for giving me the help I needed to make it. This has given me a huge confidence boost in my tournament play. Oh yeah, the money didn't suck either.

Cheers,

Iggy.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Did ya hear the one about..,

how much did you win?
Old 04-02-2004, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Did ya hear the one about..,

$175ish