Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2004, 12:33 AM

Default Interesting Hand. . .

PS 1/2 NL

I'm UTG + 1 with about $180 in chips
UTG has me covered

Been playing real tight and established the same table image.

I'm getting bored folding when I pick up 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in UTG + 1

UTG calls, he's not the type of player that would limp raise with strong hands.

I want to get HU with him and see what develops, plus I'm bored.

I raise it up to $8 to go.

Folded to UTG who calls.

Flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Umm. .. not bad

UTG bets $6

My first thought was to pot raise it but I know this is the type of player who won't let go of TPTK to big raises so I decide to just call.

Turn is the beautiful 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Ahh, I have the nuts. . Now he CAN'T possibly put me on 6-7.

He leads out and bets $12, time to exploit his weakness, I raise to $40.

He pops it back $40 more. . .. .

Now I am thinking he must have a set or possibly Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or maybe even the lower straight with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

In any sense I don't see him getting away from his hand at this point, so I push in.

He quickly calls.

The river is the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He flips over 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and we split the $360 pot. . . Funny thing is I was completely dead going into the river and he was freerolling on me. . . .

Well I made a note on that guy that he likes to play suited connectors to big raises PF out of position, so if anything I got some good information on a huge waste of time.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Interesting Hand. . .

Fold pre-flop.

Just kidding...sort of. Why throw away cash cause you're bored? Stand up from the game and go for a walk or something else that won't cost you money.

That's just how I see it, but then again, I'm a poor college student who plays for spending money. I imagine financial situation changes your attitude on these things [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Ben

Old 03-30-2004, 12:47 AM

Forgot to add that 80% of my raises to $8 pre flop were taken down uncontested, and if UTG wanted to play I felt very confident I could outplay him after the flop as I've played with him many times. . .

By the way, I am a college student who plays for spending money also. . but you can still have fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2004, 01:06 AM

Ahhh.

Well, that definitely changes things with the 80% figure. I love games like that on party. I seek out games with small avg. pots and weak-tighties. I join the table when it's fallen to 6 or 7 people. Play tight for a bit to establish an image, playing only when I've got the best, but then switch gears when we dip down to 5 or 6 people and start running over the table. I LOVE people that don't know how to adjust to SH play.

Most of the time, my hands look like:
I pot it PF with one or two callers.
I pot the flop and both fold.

When raised I usually dump it.

I'd say I have a 75% success rate with this once it's short. People just don't adjust. And this is ignoring when I actually have a hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Usually the fish will give me a fair amonut of cash and then leave. Or, someone will join us when there's only four players. I watch the new guys carefully, because I find that people who join the table when it's low tend to be better SH players. I leave the table quickly once the fish leave or adjust or some skill sits down.

I usually play 2 tables. One full ring and the other beating up on fish SH.

Haven't been using this strat long, but it seems to be working well. I've just recently decided I'm going to start studying up and playing for real to get some income

How long have you been a winning player? What kind of winrate do you pull? I'm trying to figure out what I can make if I'm constantly reading 2+2/posting hands/plugging leaks.

-Ben

Old 03-30-2004, 08:21 AM

If you want to become a winning player, read some books and play a lot and think when you are playing.

I´m a student as well - started playing with the thought that I really could make some money on this for about 8-9 months ago. I´ve read a lot of books and read quite a lot here at 2+2 and played a lot. It has worked out really well for me and I can´t complain on my income from the poker. I have been extremely serious when it comes to poker though - I think that gives a lot.

Read some books and put down some time on it and I wish you all luck!

Krytemaster