Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2004, 10:41 PM

Default JJ at a crazy table

The other night I was playing in a 100 buy in no limit game with 2-3 blinds. A few players at table had between 1k and 2k. When one of these guys got any kind of hand (ie, two cards above a 9), they would raise preflop to about 40 (a big raise for 100 buy in), then they would usually bet about 100 on the flop. I am new at the table and have almost 100. I pick up JJ in the big blind. One of these big bet players raises to about 40, and another big bet player calls, I decide to go all in, and both of them call. The flop came Q high. The preflop raiser bet 100, the other guy called. Turn is a blank, the bettor bets another 100, and the other guy folds. The preflop raiser had KQ, and ended up winning the hand.

The table consisted of these 3 big bet guys and 6 players including me with an average of about 100. Is it possible to play against these guys when all you have is $100? You can't just sit there are wait for AA or KK to try to double up. Should I have just called with my JJ, and then if the flop looked safe (no overcards), put the rest in? Should I have stayed at the table I left to go play in this game that looked like a goldmine for a good solid player? Do these guys belong in the 200 game, or better yet, the 600 (min) game offered?
Old 03-30-2004, 12:18 AM

Default Re: JJ at a crazy table

Bringing 100 to a table that has 1k-2k stacks isn't going to be profitable for you, you have no room to move, if you find a hand, you go with it and pray for the best. If you don't have the roll or the confidence to play with a bigger stack here, you should leave.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:28 AM

The amount other players have at the table doesn't matter very much. How much you have compared to the blinds is a much bigger factor. You had 100 at a 2,3 blind table. That is a little on the low side, any hand you put extra money on preflop will leave somewhat pot-committed, unless the flop is horrible for you. The fact these guys are throwing around $40 raises preflop is great. Those are huge raises for $3 blinds, so you can definitely make money by playing a little on the tight side and doing what you did, going all-in. The only thought I would have on your particular hand is that you said another big stack called the 40 first, then you went all in. I like JJ heads up against a loose raiser, but against two people, I might consider folding. You odds could be much worse, as an A,K or Q anytime coming out will probably beat you, as well as the chance one of them has a bigger pair. Still, probably not a bad move on your part, maybe others could take the time to work out the numbers for the different plausible situations but my guess is it's a close call either way.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:59 AM

I would raise all-in without hesitation here and even if you get two calls - lets say by AK and KQ you have over 40% chance to take down the pot. This is the kind of hands you are looking for in this kind of game, and even better of course is even higher pairs.

I would say that this game is great and me personally would put in a lot more money on the table if I had some. If I hadnīt I would still play as long as these loose players were around, and looking for theses kinds of hands and even lower pairs at the right spots.

What a game!!!

Krytemaster