Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2004, 04:52 PM

Default Should I have laid this down?

$25 Party NL, 10 players. I have $21.

I'm on the button and get dealt QJo. Three players in front of me limp, I limp, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop comes JJ6 rainbow. It's checked to me, I check.

Turn is an offsuit 4. SB bets $1, BB raises to $4, I raise it to $7, BB goes all-in (he has me covered by $2). I have no read on him.

I think about it for a second and call. The river is a 5 and he turns over J4 for a full house.

Should I have folded here? To be honest I called quickly and didn't even consider the possibility of a full, mainly because I think a random Party $25 player would push with any J. Also, I'm not comfortable with the min-raise of his re-raise. Should I have raised higher?
Old 03-28-2004, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Should I have laid this down?

nope. sure, it's possible you're already beat, but there are lots of hands that will be bet the same way that you can beat (overpairs, jacks with worse kickers). in this situation, you're just going to lose your stack.

If you have a weak kicker here, you can think about laying it down and have to make your best guess based on the game and your opponents.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Should I have laid this down?

Yeah, bye-bye stack. Hands like this are the reason I like to stick chips up my bum before betting 'em in this kind of game. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It'll get you ready for the feeling at showdown [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] and it's the only way to really make people pay for playing J4 in this situation [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].

(Yeah, I know, it's hard to stick virtual chips up your butt).