Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2004, 08:18 PM

Default Flopped a monster - evaluate play

One of my weaknesses is when I flop a monster. This hand is an example of when I pick up a good hand and flop a pretty much unbeatable hand. I'll include what I was thinking after the action.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Blindfolk is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.75.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 (poster) checks, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Blindfolk raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (13 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Blindfolk calls, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds.

Turn: (8 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Blindfolk raises</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls.

River: (14 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Blindfolk bets</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 17 BB, between Blindfolk, BB and MP3.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Blindfolk (17 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Js 5s (full house, jacks full of nines).
MP3 shows Ah Kc (two pair, aces and jacks).
Blindfolk shows Ac Jc (full house, jacks full of aces).
Outcome: Blindfolk wins 17 BB. </font>

On the flop, I basically flop an unbeatable hand so I just decide to call the 50 cents instead of raising in fear of scaring them away. With that kind of flop, good hands can get made but I'm not scared of runner-runner making higher full house. The reason I raise on the flop is that I feel that either one of the players (or both) has a J or A. The river is standard practice I think.

Basically, evaluate my play and suggest something. If you don't think I played this hand right, tell me so I can learn. I've only been playing HE for 3 months (online for 1) so I have much to learn.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Flopped a monster - evaluate play

I think you played it well, and its fortunate that so many people had a piece of the flop.

I hope that if it was checked to you on the flop, you'd bet it. Looks good.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:25 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

you played it well. if more people called the flop I'd bet the harmless turn card hoping to get raised by a J and not squeeze out everyone behind me. but there weren't, so this is a pretty typical slowplay
Old 03-25-2004, 08:27 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

really? I'd check the flop hoping someone picks up a draw on the turn. AJJ isn't exactly a coordinated board.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:32 PM

At this table, I would probably bet the flop if no one else bet before me. This was a really loose game but whenever someone re-raised on the flop, everyone tightened up.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:33 PM

Yeah, I'd make this bet. Hero raised preflop, the flop came all broadway, and he's on the button. It doesn't really say anything other than "hey, I have an ace of some sort". Plus, a lot of people will peel one off for cheap. The other option is that a 3 of rainbow falls on the turn and no one picks up anything, and everyone's gotta call a double bet to see the river.

I think people will get plenty out of line without the hero disguising his hand.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The other option is that a 3 of rainbow falls on the turn and no one picks up anything, and everyone's gotta call a double bet to see the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

good point. you just made me feel stupid like last night when I folded 77 to your 66 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2004, 08:44 PM

Don't feel dumb, dude.

It's just been my observation that betting when you have a good hand, an impregnable hand or a strong draw is almost never wrong at these limits. Even when it has a chance of killing your action on this hand.

Last night I was running over a 2/4 table, up 25BB and getting a lot of respect. A8o in the BB, 5 to the flop: A88. I bet, all fold.

Any regrets? Not really. I'll bet there (oftentimes) with a flush draw, middle pair and an overcard, top pair top kicker, top pair bad kicker, overcards and on all Jewish holidays. Betting there when I have the (second) nuts just fits into the scheme.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:58 PM

Raise the flop in these hands. You're less likely to knock opponents out when you raise the flop rather than waiting and raising on the turn. When you raise the flop, you'll often get more action if somebody else is holding the last Jack. Instead, when you play it this way, you can scare even the case Jack into thinking you've got AA and he'll slow down with his trips. In this hand, the guy didn't even bet his full-house on the river.

If you had raised the flop here, I would have expected the Js5s to 3-bet allowing you to either cap or raise on the turn.

Good raise before the flop.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't feel dumb, dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, I never take any of this stuff too seriously. I actually like getting outplayed. it teaches me a move so I can go put it out on someone else

I kinda viewed you as a rock-solid ABC type player with good fundamentals, but you impressed me with your trickiness at times. I think you're gonna be a reeeeeaally good player one day