Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2004, 04:19 PM

Default Interesting Hand - What would you have done?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $2.
UTG (poster) checks, petetom folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO raises, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero bets, BB calls, UTG calls, CO raises, Button folds, Hero 3-bets, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Turn: (11 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>

Hero bets (4)
BB calls (4)
UTG calls (4)
CO raises (8) to 8
Hero calls (4)
BB raises (8) to 12
UTG calls (8)
CO raises (8) to 16

Pot is 23bb. There's no question in my mind that I'm up against a str8 at this point. I'm on a four outer. Thoughts?
Old 03-24-2004, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Interesting Hand - What would you have done?

I would fold it pre-flop.

Call the turn and hope for a miracle. Your 4 outs are not entirely clean, but I can't see folding in a pot this big.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:30 PM

By the time the action is back to you to call two BBs, the pot is 23BBs (I think) and as BB and UTG are going to call and can't raise, you're getting 25:2 or 12.5:1 on your call. Drawing to four outs, you need 10.5:1, so this would make it a call, except if you think that someone has JJ, QQ or AA a significant amount of the time. Given the PF and flop action, only the CO is at all likely have one of these hands, and he's so much more likely to have a straight here, so call.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:37 PM

The problem here is the bigger boat. I'd hate to get my Q, cap the river and be shown AA. On the other hand, maybe somebody's got Kx diamonds and thinks they're freerolling. Maybe somebody's got KK. Maybe UTG poster's just got two diamonds.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:49 PM

i'd check/fold the turn. with that board, there is almost no reasonable hand that the CO could have that you could beat. you're hoping he's got A9, 99, or below, and i don't see 99 raising the flop.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:11 PM

I think you're just hoping he doesn't have AA or AQ if a Q hits and AJ/QQ if a Jack hits (or the quads). Since he open raised a poster, he may not have that strong of a hand. Both non coldcalling opponents are sure acting like they have a king though, which is good for you. I call here and cap the river, particularly on the diamond jack.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:37 PM

Well, the old hands are right on this one. I played this back on PT and saw that not only was I getting sufficient pot odds, but my implied odds were more than sufficient to call this and pray!

So happens, the river brought a J and I folded a winning and highly profirtable hand. BTW, BB had Jxo and was trying to bluff the hand. I was expecting a chop, but CO was holding AK and took it down.

Lesson learned - big pots often give you sufficient odds to play hands with few outs. It's often worth a call even if it's hopeless.

Thanks for your help.