Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2004, 10:54 AM

Default Worst beat ever!

I want you all to bookmark this post to come and read it when you think you just took one in the keister.

In a 10$ rebuy tournament total purse of about 30k Blinds are 600/1200 +75 and there are less than 80 places to go until the money.

I am dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button. UTG calls MP calls I decide to call on the button SB completes and BB checks 5 to see the pot (6600)

Flop comes 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

It is checked to me I bet 1200 and am called by UTG. (9000)

Turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

UTG checks I bet 3600 and am called (16200 pot)

River 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])

UTG checks, I bet 4800 and get raised 4800 so I push in with my remaining 4800 + 471 more and am all in.

I just doubled up here right? WRONG!! the dude had both of the black Queens to make his 1 out full house on the river.

This is a classic case of someone playing a hand so bad and it pays off. Had he raised any preflop I was out of the hand. Had he raised any during the hand I would have pushed all in which surely would have told him he was beat (maybe not) One of these days ill come back and post about the time I hit my one outer, but honestly I dont think it has ever happened to me.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:59 AM

Default That\'s awesome! He hit a TWO outer!

Not.

Although that's a tough one. Try a runner runner perfect. (runner-runner straight flush to be your quads)
Old 03-22-2004, 11:14 AM

Default Re: That\'s awesome! He hit a TWO outer!

[ QUOTE ]
Not.

Although that's a tough one. Try a runner runner perfect. (runner-runner straight flush to be your quads)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea real awesome (FOR HIM! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ) And to make it even worse. He had only 1 Q to catch since I held the other one. I have yet to see a runner runner Str8 flush beat 4 of a kind. I hope the day I do Im sitting at a live table with a huge bad beat jackpot!
Old 03-22-2004, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Worst beat ever!

Although that is a terrible terrible beat (WORSE than straight flush to beat quads since you can hit 1 of 2 cards on the turn and then the final one on the river) i think your preflop call and flop play of the hand was wrong. you're in a tourney now trying to survive to the big money.

you're aim here is not to try to squeeze every bit you can out of every hand you're dealt. fold this preflop and wait for a better holding. yes he made a mistake by calling preflop but after you're weak flop bet he may have, mistakenly, figured he was way ahead and that you're hand had little change of improving to something better than his. that is the relative values of your hands would hold constant and he could slowplay a bit and get more out of you (his mistake but what he likely thought).

you should bet quite a bit more on the flop as well. and if not the flop...then certainly the turn. this is a coordinated board and you were giving him cheap cards to beat your very beatable trips (any straight/flush beats 'em). betting 1200 into 9000 giving a draw that chance is bad. similarly, betting 3600 into 16200 is equally bad.

if he has a hand he's calling with he'll call more. don't give that cheap shot to a bad player b/c he'll take it all the time. he doesn't understand draws don't come in all the time and he needs to conserve chips here.

you clearly had a decent stack and need to survive, not push q7s.

yes the beat is the worst one possible in the game of texas holdem, but it is also true you're play here could have been much much better. why wait till you're an underdog to push in?? you could have gotten much more out of him when he was a big dog by betting more on the flop and turn.

good luck.
-Barron
Old 03-22-2004, 12:17 PM

That is bad. I think a worse beat was posted around a week or so ago. Someone held 34 clubs i believe. Flop comes A25 clubs, for the straight flush. 4th&5th are TQ clubs. Someone holds KJc. Ouch.

Peace

John nickle

Old 03-22-2004, 12:34 PM

if i knew that limping with queens would entice my opponents to call with Q7, i would do it virtually every time.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:39 PM

Default My bad, sorry. Stupid me

that IS a bad beat then [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2004, 01:20 PM

Are you kidding me? I called because i was gettin 5:1 with postion to begin with which means I am able to pick up the pot an any point in the hand where I sense weakenss since I am last to bet. If I didnt do this periodically in tournament play I would be blinded out before the money every time. When I hit trips with a rainbow flop I think it is fairly safe to milk this pot as nobody will likely put me on 3 7s and I will most likely be called by people holding an over pair. And as far as why did I wait till i was behind to push? Well how many of us here can river a full house and honestly think they are behind. that was the only over card on the board I had 1 in my hand so no other full house EXCEPT the Quees full could have beat me. I would not change the way I played it at all..
Old 03-22-2004, 01:47 PM

If you avoid going broke long enough, you will get beaten like this so many times you don't even notice anymore.

The fact that you seem unable to consider whether you could have played the hand better doesn't bode well for your chances, though.

scrub
Old 03-22-2004, 02:05 PM

Preflop: Fold
Flop: Bet bigger to take it down

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JW