Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2004, 01:34 PM

Default Separate Forum for Online NL/PL?

Hey all,

Does anyone else think that it might be a good idea to request that 2+2 break the NL/PL forum into "live" and "online?" It's plain to see that, in many ways, they are very different beasts (eg the max buy-ins, stakes, general skill level of opponents). Thus, many of the strategies appropriate for one are not necessarily appopriate for the other.

I feel like I might get flamed for this one, but oh well. At least limon will probably agree... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ML4L
Old 03-20-2004, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Separate Forum for Online NL/PL?

I agree 100% as well, I play both and they are just different games entirely.

--turnipmonster
Old 03-21-2004, 05:58 AM

I agree. One year ago I may not have but with the tremendous popularity and increase in online NL/PL play for relatively smaller stakes and limited buy in etc it makes sense. And the popularity will increase, at least for a few more years before the inevitable fall off. With the increase in postings in this forum and the very real difference between the generally small blind online games and the higher stakes live games it makes sense to instituted a split in the NL/PL forum. It would be the approximate equilivant of the spilt in the forums for limit Texas Hold'em, i.e. the small stakes and Mid-, High-stakes forums.

In addition, it would cut down wading through hand postings, and make for clearer analysis and advice on hands. I think it is time the forum was split. And I think if would be the best for all. A majority of posters would probably still peruse both forums but there would be a very clear-cut difference.

It is time for a split pot, so to speak.

-Zeno
Old 03-21-2004, 06:34 AM

I totally agree as well. They seem like completely different games in my (limited) experience.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:12 AM

I would agree with a seperate forum.

Old 03-21-2004, 02:11 PM

I agree as well.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:34 PM

Default YESSSSS!!!!!

Old 03-21-2004, 07:54 PM

Default Um, So What Now...?

Hey all,

Well, there are at least a few of us in favor of this. Does anyone know what we do to try to make it happen?

ML4L
Old 03-21-2004, 08:59 PM

Default The More Important Distinction

While the necessity to break up the PL/NL section into two forums seems obvious, I think the separation should follow the lead of the limit forums.

After deciding what the stakes dividing lines will be, we can then have a Mid-High Stakes Forum, and a Small Stakes (with an eye toward adding a "Gomez Forum" if deemed necessary).

The question would be then, what would be the stakes dividing line?
Old 03-21-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Re: The More Important Distinction

Hey Lucky,

Yeah, I thought about suggesting that breakdown instead. But, I settled on the online vs. live because:

1) As you said, drawing the line might be fuzzy. I mean, is there a difference between 0.50/1.00 on Party and 1/2? Not really. What about 1/2 and 2/4? Maybe? Just seems simpler not to worry about having to make an arbitrary distinction...

2) I feel like the Party 1/2 game has a lot more in common with the Party .50/1.00 game than, e.g., the Borgata 1/2 game. This is different from limit; the Party 15/30 plays a lot like a California 15/30 game...

That having been said, any division is certainly better than none at all, so if the powers that be feel that a stakes breakdown is more appropriate, that's fine. But, some (this is you again, limon) could make a more eloquent case than I on why the separation should DEFINITELY be between online and live.

ML4L