Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2004, 06:01 AM

Default \"ha ha ha u loser\"

I don't have a tilt problem, bad-beats don't annoy me too much, I think over-all I'm a pretty stable player, psychologically.

But one thing, that happens quite rarely, and can really make me angry (for a short period of time), is when people on-line start to "ha ha ha ha", and "lol", when they hit their 2-outer against me (I play mainly SNGs on stars, so many times two players are both all-in at some point, and see what cards each player has, what cards fall and who's ahead). Even if they hit it agasint others, it annoys me when they start laughing at the one who lost it. And I don't like being annoyed when I'm at the table.

I know some of you turn the chat off or something, but these cases are pretty rare, and I prefer the chat on.

Any thoughts about this not-very-serious problem?

Old 03-18-2004, 07:52 AM

Default Re: \"ha ha ha u loser\"

I'm sure you know that people say "ha ha ha" and comments like this in order to get you steaming, and by doing so you are falling into their trap.

Whenever I see someone say something like this, I chuckle to myself at their pathetically transparent psychological ploy, and console myself that by virtue of the fact that they are hitting two outers, I'm going to take all their money.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:21 AM

This happened to me last week. Down to 3 in a S&G and I get knocked out. I type in gg and one of the guys types in "good bye loser". I just typed in two words "Douche Bag" and left.

Kind of juvenile but I couldn't help myself.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:24 PM

as my friend would say "people don't get punched in the face, over the internet"

and this mixed with my theory that most people are Aholes, the internet allows them to be as big of Aholes as they want to, with no repurcussions.

i would try to ignore them, and if not, i'd humor them and say something like 'wow, you're a very nice person'

Old 03-18-2004, 12:24 PM

Hiya P.M.,

First, I wouldn't read too much into the "lol" when a 2-outer hits. I often type that, whether I'm on the winning or losing side, or not even in the hand, and I don't mean it to be insulting. What usually happens is that I'll see two players push in, their cards turn up, one has AA and the other 88 or some such, and I'll think "Well, here comes the 8." Then it hits, and I laugh. I'll often also type "ouch" or something like that.

The "goodbye loser" comments are obviously obnoxious, and what's worse, they serve no purpose whatever because the other player is already out of the game. I also sometimes wonder why people will type "thanks" -- before anyone has said "nh" or whatever -- when someone calls their AA and it holds up. Are they anticipating the compliment for AA, or saying thank you to the caller for doubling them up, and if it's the latter, is it one of those "thanks, whew, I needed that hand and a caller to get back in this," or "thanks for being such an idiot?"

After much consideration, I tend to just ignore the chat line. If someone is being especially obnoxious, at least on PokerStars, I can block that one player's chat. (Right-click on their icon and select from the popup menu.) This saves me a lot of useless annoyance.

Cris
Old 03-18-2004, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also sometimes wonder why people will type "thanks" -- before anyone has said "nh" or whatever -- when someone calls their AA and it holds up. Are they anticipating the compliment for AA, or saying thank you to the caller for doubling them up, and if it's the latter, is it one of those "thanks, whew, I needed that hand and a caller to get back in this," or "thanks for being such an idiot?"

[/ QUOTE ]

No, 99% of the time the preemptive "ty" is obnixious, and intended to be that way. Usually it comes after you've put extra bets in (not just check-called) with a second best hand.

One thing I'll do sometimes, if I'm not involved in the hand at all, and the winner lets out an unsolicited "ty", is to type "yw". I'll also just start randomly typing "ty" at various points for the next five or ten minutes.

[ QUOTE ]
After much consideration, I tend to just ignore the chat line. If someone is being especially obnoxious, at least on PokerStars, I can block that one player's chat. (Right-click on their icon and select from the popup menu.) This saves me a lot of useless annoyance.

[/ QUOTE ]

The chat is a tool just like anything else. I tend to take a live-and-let-live approach when I first arrive at the table ... almost never say anything about bad beats and so forth ... but if someone needs to be provoked, I'm happy to provoke them.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:02 PM

I tend to ignore chat too. Although I always find it amusing when someone hangs around observing a tournament table after busting out to abuse the person who drew out on them.

In one large multi-table tournament someone I eliminated followed me right to the final table so they could cheer everytime I lost a pot. I was very pleased to take 2nd place while they watched.

But just last night after a big hand a player who'd folded to a big raise pre-flop said "I had 99".

No one commented. So several seconds later he said "There was 99 on the board".

Still no comments from anyone so he shouted "I HAD QUADS".

I replied "Congratulations."

He didn't speak again, but was eliniated shortly afterwards.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:46 PM

I, for one, am happy to see these kinds of people at the tables.

I have been a player of online games for about 7 years and have seen pretty much everything in chat. At one point it annoyed me, but now I just find it amusing. I have noticed that the loudmouths, the braggarts, the people that flip out and blame everyone but themselves when they are losing, these are most likely to be the players who take the easiest, cheapest ways to win. So I don't expect them to be good poker players. And from what I have seen so far, they are not.

I am glad to be at a table full of ego-driven people who can't control their emotions. Let them insult each other and get all riled up, while I just sit quietly and try to take their money. It provides entertainment, anyway. And once in a while I poke them a little just to get them more upset. I know this is a bit juvenile. I can't help it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2004, 05:20 PM

I'm guilty of the lol when I either suck out or get sucked out on. I don't mean it in a bad way, just amazed the poker gods smiled on either me or someone else. I never thought about it being interpreted as an attempt to tilt someone. In my opinion the people that type stuff like the "ha ha loser" comment tend to be very weak players.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:35 PM

It's "thanks for calling all your chips when I have a huge advantage."

I said that today on the turn with TT on a flop of 992 and the turn of a T when it was all in for me to call. No one else was in the pot but I knew I had the winner (barring a freak 99).

Of course I gave a good 5 second pause before I called to build up the suspense. He gets a rotten feeling in his gut and his heart sinks when I turn over my cards and he knows he can't win with his 88.