Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2004, 12:00 AM

Default Calling 3 cold preflop

This is one of the first times I've called 3 bets cold preflop. It worked out well for me in the end but I was hoping to get some feedback about it.

The table I'm at is VERY loose and usually pretty passive. They are not likely to make any sort of laydown so many showdowns are had with 3 or more players.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Brian462 is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $1.50.
UTG raises, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 3-bets, MP1 (poster) calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Brian462 calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG caps, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Brian462 calls, BB calls.

Flop: (25 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 raises, MP1 calls, Brian462 3-bets, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (20 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, Brian462 bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds.

River: (23 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Brian462 bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 25 BB, between UTG and Brian462.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Brian462 (25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Ks Kd (two pair, kings and sixes).
Brian462 shows 6d 6c (four of a kind, sixes).
Outcome: Brian462 wins 25 BB. </font>

Preflop, I figured at least one of the blinds was coming along but I also thought there was a better than average chance that it would be capped. I pretty much considered it calling 4 bets when I made the call. On the upside, I'm likely against at least 1 big pair so I'm almost assured action when I do hit my set.

Postflop, I didn't slowplay at all simply because I figured I would get lots of action. I was hoping to get some raises in on the turn or river but it worked out well enough.

Mainly I was hoping to get confirmation on whether the call preflop was good or not, but any comments on my play on any street will be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Calling 3 cold preflop

Same thing happened to me once but I had 55 and I folded it. Flopped a 5 and the turn was a 5. Nice 22 dollar pot I missed out on. Now I wanna play 22 to a cap ahahah
Old 03-18-2004, 12:05 AM

i dont like the call on the preflop. i would have folded. id only call really big hands w/ 3bets to me. AA-JJ,AKs, AQs, AKo, etc.

you got lucky. but lucky pays sometimes.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:07 AM

Try estimating your implied odds, then you will know if it was a good call.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:20 AM

At first glance I think the implied odds look great. That's why I made the call in the first place. I put in 2 BB's preflop and ended up with about 19BB's profit in the end.

But the part that worries me is the negative implied odds. I think the chances are greater than normal that I'm up more than 1 big pair here so there's a bigger chance of me ending up with an underset, which is very expensive.

My whole question was whether or not I have the implied odds to make this call. What do you think?
Old 03-18-2004, 01:21 AM

IMO not really......you cold called three with 10/3 pot odds coming to you and even counting on the original raiser and the UTG +1 coming along your still 12/3 or 4/1 and hoping to flop a set at 8/1 vs higher pockets not a good play. Did you not think that the original raiser in EP wouldn't cap?

I'm glad it worked for you this time, but you got lucky and I wouldn't reccomend this type of play on a regular basis. You want to play those small pockets in late position for no raise with lots of limpers. You'll still make a killing when you do flop the set but risk much less and can release if you don't hit on the flop and the board looks unattractive.

Outwit , outplay, outlast! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2004, 04:34 AM

I did this with TT once, and no body liked it when I did it either. What sucks is that then I had to call the flop because the pot was so freaking huge.

Neadless to say, I didn't end up with quads so I'm not quite as fond of the play now.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:04 AM

I've been thinking about this all night, and I still think the call is good. I actually thought of capping it here! (to give me a chance of receiving a free look at the turn. I dismissed this idea because I thought there wasn't much of a chance of it checking to me.)

When I made it, I thought it was almost routine. 5 possibly 6 seeing the flop and I'm looking to get TONS of action those times I happen to hit. Anytime I don't hit I make an easy fold(either on the flop or turn depending on pot size/no. of bets etc..). I lose 2BBs 6.5/7.5 times which means those times that I do hit I have to make about 15BBs which seemed very easy given the aggression shown here. Even w/ adding the increased chance for an underset I think the implied odds are there.

After posting and not having even 1 person agree with me, I'm now more confused then ever. I don't understand why the call is bad, but more than a few seem to think its OBVIOUSLY bad. I'd really like to hear more on this because I might have a hole in my thinking somewhere.

Can someone please elaborate for me. I might be sounding really dumb but I just don't understand what makes this a bad call.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But the part that worries me is the negative implied odds. I think the chances are greater than normal that I'm up more than 1 big pair here so there's a bigger chance of me ending up with an underset, which is very expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think you should worry too much about that, as the chances that you both hit a set is pretty slim(He would have to hit in 2 cards).
The way I see it is: It will in worst case be 5 ways for 4 bets, meaning that you will have to make 3.5*4 =15 small bets after the flop.
I would think that there is a good chance that you can make this after the flop, with all the preflop action and some more, for the times you loose.

[ QUOTE ]
My whole question was whether or not I have the implied odds to make this call. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you will have to make 3.5*4 =15 small bets after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get this? Surely, as he's putting in 2BB pre-flop, and the odds of hitting are 7.5:1, he needs to make 15BB post-flop, no?