Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2004, 05:27 PM

Default Loss of civility in internet poker?

Is it just me, or are people ranting more and more about taking beats. Before, I would think the internet was comparable to real life poker in the amount of grumbling about beats. However, I think since the whole WSOP 2003/WPT thing and poker's explosion, the amount of abuse directed at other players about beats and whatnot has exploded. I can hardly play an hour without someone constantly typing in the foulest oaths in the chat box.

I have the feeling that it is similar to the road rage phenomenon- people yell say stuff because they feel empowered sitting behind their computer. No way would they be that liberal with the four letter words if they were actually in front of someone's face.

Oh well, no real point, other than I miss some of the friendlier online games, especially the 20/40 full game at Planet about 2-3 years ago. Good people, good action, etc...
Old 03-17-2004, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Loss of civility in internet poker?

you can't lose what you never had. I think its a new breed, not a general loss of civility.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:34 PM

You made me think back to when I first started playing Planet 3 years ago and can't recall ever watching chat like on Party now.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:43 PM

So true about the Planet 20/40. I played that game for a long time (ERaddock), and everyone was civil and polite to one another--decent folks, really.

Your road rage analogy is a good one. The worst offenders are undoubtedly people who have never had their asses kicked good and proper because they are the worst sorts of cowards.

Now, that's not to say that some of the absurd beats one takes online don't make you wanna SMACK YER MAMA, cuz they do.

But I agree with you.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:48 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

disable chat and they're all sweethearts
Old 03-17-2004, 05:58 PM

Well when you're sticking all your chips in the pot when you're a 10:1 - 24:1 favorite and consistantly busting out of tournies because of it, it's hard to be anything but cheerful (at that point in time).

So what's the solution?
Have everyone use bots! j/k
Old 03-17-2004, 06:00 PM

Almost ten years ago, in the beginning og internet poker (free) a good online friend of mine got off on another player, he well deserved it, but my friend got very distraught of how she could say such mean things to the other player.
It was completely against all that she stood for, and she told me it was not what her grandmother had taught her at all, she had forgotten for a moment that there are real people on the other end of the internet.
She wrote to me that she would quit the internet playing completely because of this, well, she came back after a while, but this goes to show that even nice people can become mean on the internet, as there are nobody there to punish you for your bad behavior.

You see the same in large groups of people, as long as one thinks one can get away with it, humans do the most terrible things. So much for human nature.

Same thing is happening in the USA, in the anonymity of the big cities and in the big corporations, there are people who do not care about others at all.

Atleast poker is fair in the way that you know that everyone else is trying to screw you over, and if someone is yelling names at you, it is because you are getting their money.

Old 03-17-2004, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well when you're sticking all your chips in the pot when you're a 10:1 - 24:1 favorite and consistantly busting out of tournies because of it, it's hard to be anything but cheerful (at that point in time).

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to 2+2, Mr. Hellmuth. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2004, 07:49 PM

"Loss of civility in internet poker?"

was there ever civility in internet poker??
just kidding...never-mind...enough of you have already answered that.

if there's a real insult-fest going on between a couple of players i like to stay at that table a bit longer because i suspect they are putting each other on tilt.
free-money!! yum!!

i've seen worse and worse language and behaviour the past few weeks too. maybe i'm just lucky that way.

i got on downloaded paradise to take advantage of their sunday-reloads. played mostly 1-2 and 2-4 and was amazed at how bad the language was....thought it was worse than party's actually. then when i came back to party i full-time i wasn't so sure.

really nasty, stupid stuff.

i had one guy trying to get under my skin with various insults on party last week.
when he insulted me i would just agree with him....

idiot - "you suck....you're a lucky f***ing blah blah blah"
me - "yup. i suck"

idiot - "you fag. i bet you blah blah in the blah blah blah all night long"
me - "yup. doing so right now as a matter of fact. want me to send pictures??"

idiot - "you are worst player ever."
me - "are you going to buy back-in again or what?? does a flush beat a full-house??"
Old 03-17-2004, 08:36 PM

More losers playing with scared money.