Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2004, 11:27 AM

Default Pocket Ladies with no resistance

So I'm in a damn fine 15-30 online game with fish abound. I really don't know much about any of the players as they are coming and going fast. I've folded the last trillion hands and now find myself UTG with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. God those ladies are gorgeous. I make them proud by raising them into this field of Tuna and Smelt. UTG+1 and +2 decide to foolishly coldcall while +3 likes his hand so much, he 3-bets me. Folded to button who calls and the BB comes along for the ride. I figure there's a strong chance my hand is best and I really want to show my ladies what a man I am, so I cap. All call(no real surprise). That's six players to the flop for 4 SB's apiece.

Flop-K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, I bet and get called by UTG+1+2+3 and the other two fold. Hmmmm.

Turn-K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I decide to fire another barrel into this trio of monkeys. I lose one and the other two call, this includes the preflop reraiser. I really am not sure what to think at this point as to whether my hand is good or not. Zero resistance with my sandwiched second pair.

River-K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I lead out for the final time. One fold, one call. How'd I do? Anyone play it a different way? Results to come.

Pipedream
Old 03-17-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Pocket Ladies with no resistance

I think you can be assured of receiving the entire 2nd place pot.

But I don't think there was anything you could have done to change that situation.

I'd probably bet the river, as you did, although I don't think it would often do any good. IF he as a king, you ain't getting him out of this pot without a gun.

Old 03-17-2004, 12:08 PM

I think you played it fine. I'd expect most average players to raise with a bigger pair here, be it a king or a set or whatever.

I think I'd fire the last barrel on the river every time, expecting to be called by hands like JJ. If one of them wimped out with a hand like KQ, Tont Pis.

-Diplomat
Old 03-17-2004, 12:11 PM

I'm not sure. I think he will be called often enough by a hand like AT and JJ to make a bet profitable.

-Diplomat
Old 03-17-2004, 12:27 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

66 will call here too.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:40 PM

You played it fine. Nobody came back over-the-top, showing trips. You'd know if the flush hit or someone was slow-playing a set once you bet, but so what? Hell of a game with that much sushi on the plate for the flop. We trust you did well and the ladies were impressed?
Old 03-17-2004, 12:54 PM

That's just my point. Many other hands will call here.

-Diplomat
Old 03-17-2004, 05:15 PM

Default Results

Opponent held AA and took the pot.

Pipedream
Old 03-18-2004, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Opponent held AA and took the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess he was scared of a set of kings- one of the only other hands a tight player (you said you had folded the last jillion hands or something) might raise and then cap with from UTG- and saw no reason to mess with them. You were betting the pot for him just fine, and the only pausible that he'll get paid off from is AK. Not as weak a play as it might first appear.