Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2004, 08:51 PM

Default When wil I f%&$ing learn?!?

My new mantra - I will not slowplay trips; I will not slow play trips.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:37 PM

Default Re: When wil I f%&$ing learn?!?

I almost never slowplay anything. Last time was flopped Quads in a small pot [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2004, 09:44 PM

Stop slowplaying everything. Slowplaying is occasinally an +EV move, but it's so rarely +EV at small stakes that you'll be better off always betting your hands for value. It seems straightforward and boring, but such is small stakes poker.

I guarantee, if you're routinely slowplaying trips right now, you'll see a huge profit improvement when you stop slowplaying. This is not because less people will suck out on you, but because you have a damn nice hand, and a damn nice draw, and plenty of players who will pay to see your hand. Don't be scuured that they'll fold... Take their money!

Many players are upset when their good but vulnerable hands are broken by loose callers. I hear, "They keep calling me down to the river!" all the time. But, ironically, the same player tries to slow play his invincible hands. Use the information you've gathered! Your opponents will try to suck out on you on the river...... make that pot huge baby!
Old 03-15-2004, 09:54 PM

How about waiting for the turn to raise? Is this slow playing? If I hit top set on a rainbow board and there was a bet and a raise to me in LP I wouldn't 3 bet it. I'd go for a raise on the turn. Does this make sense?
Old 03-15-2004, 10:04 PM

I just had a hand on party that I had QJ, the flop was kk7 or something and it got checked around. turn was an A, it checked around again. The river was a T, then the sb came alive and bet, I raised, he reraised and showed K2. Another successful slowplay as any bet previous to the river would have knocked me out.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:54 PM

Keep repeating the mantra. Last 2 times I tried to slowplay a flopped monster, the table checked around the flop and folded to the turn bet. On the other hand, once the fish call a flop bet, they seem compelled to call the turn bet, and not because they are getting odds to draw for a set on their pocket 6's, but because they think the money in the pot is still theirs.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:06 PM

Please keep slow playing your trips. I love getting free cards for my inside straight and runner-runner flush draws.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:30 PM

Its going to depend on too many factors to make a blanket statement.

What was the preflop action? How big is the pot? How high is your top set? What is the board texture? How aggressive are your opponents? How bad are your opponents? How aggressive are you?

If there are no draws on the board and you call two bets cold on the flop, you are already giving away too much information to an observant opponent. They will probably won't bet into you again on the turn.

In general most people slowplay way too often and I have been guilty of this in the past.

There is a whole chapter on this in TOP which is worth reading and re-reading.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:32 PM

Looks like you have a taste of Fancy Play Syndrome. Judging from how poorly you played that 'revenge' str8 flush hand, also.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 03-16-2004, 02:37 PM

"<will keep calling> .. because they think the money in the pot is still theirs." Bingo.

And lets not snear at the loose "one time calls" on the flop. That's real money even if they WILL fold the turn.

- Louie