Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2004, 08:44 PM

Default slow play the set?

anyone play this differently? i invariably bet and raise my sets (and any other good hand but vulnerable hand) when i get them. i'm trying to figure out places i could be slowplaying.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($43.75)
UTG+2 ($63.65)
MP1 ($100.20)
MP2 ($28.75)
MP3 ($74.85)
CO ($55.05)
Hero ($143.45)
SB ($135.35)
BB ($44)
UTG ($48)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $1, UTG+2 calls $1, MP1 calls $1, MP2 calls $1, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls $1, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($6.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 bets $1, UTG+2 calls $1, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero raises to $7, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds.

Final Pot: $15.50
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $9.50, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: $6, overbet by Hero.</font>

Old 03-16-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: slow play the set?

Can't afford to slowplay the set here. Obviously it's a straight, rather than a flush, draw that you need to be concerned about. Anyone with KQ or J10 will probably be hungry enough to chase you down...so charge them for it. If they're not willing to pay the price of admission, then so be it.

It's always better to win a small pot than to lose a big one.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:58 PM

I absolutely agree with Richie. With six in the pot you usually have to figure that this flop fits into somebody's hand. Charge 'em.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:08 PM

Agree 100% with Richie Rich. My comment was going to be that if a Straight draw, Flush draw or a Board Pair is on the board then beware...bet the set strong but cautiously. We have probably all gotten hammered with a set by draw-out, but make it pricy. If no draw/pr is on board, overcards are a nice sight to see.

Let's assume your flop came 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Sure someone could be a slow playing Aces into you, but as TJ's blue book says a couple times..."If that's the case you just got unlucky." Idealy, your opponent(s) would have an Ace or even A9 or A4. Let them toss their money in, and if they fall short of doing so (and a flush/straight/bd pair stays away), then get all your money in before the showdown [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2004, 08:12 PM

Played fine post-flop, you can't slowplay here for 3 reasons:

1. As others have pointed out u need to charge the draws.
2. Even if they arent drawing alot of cards will kill your action on turn.
3. Finding out where your at, if QJ is out there i would like to find out early. By calling how do you handle an all-in on a later street if the board hasn't paired?

As played I think the 2/3's pot bet on flop is the right amount to accomplish all these things.

Depending on game conditions, I would seriously consider raising this the pot pre-flop and trying to take it down there or thin the field w/ position.