Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2004, 07:06 PM

Default Bad Beat with Pocket Pairs

Hi gang,

I posted this for your reading pleasure. TacoGoblin is a lameassed fish to be sure and he sucked me out alot, not to mention beating me with four sixes after I flopped aces full with pocket bulletts. I shouldn't complain 'cause this was a very profitable game. Revenge posted as well.

Happy reading..,

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 <font color="brown">(Lameass Fish)</font> calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Lameass Fish checks, Hero bets, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, Lameass Fish calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Lameass Fish checks, Hero bets, Button calls, BB folds, UTG folds, Lameass Fish calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Lameass Fish bets, Hero raises, Button folds, Lameass Fish calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 12.50 BB, between Lameass Fish and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Lameass Fish (12.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Lameass Fish shows 5s 2s (flush, queen high).
Hero shows 6d 6c (three of a kind, sixes).
Outcome: Lameass Fish wins 12.50 BB. </font>
Old 03-15-2004, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Bad Beat with Pocket Pairs

This isnt really a bad beat. He had a 6-out (if backdoor flush counts as 1 out) draw on the flop, and got there.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:23 PM

Why do you refer to the people who are making you the profit as lameass?
Old 03-15-2004, 07:23 PM

Maybe, but if you're willing to bet runner-runner with a pair of twos and a low end flush, more power to ya'...
Old 03-15-2004, 07:25 PM

Had a few real lame suckouts - just a little bitter.., [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2004, 07:31 PM

IMHO if you are going to bet an under-pair all the way if you don't flop trips because of your read on your opponent you need to raise pre-flop. Calling and taking an under-pair to the river is nuts even against a guy with 52s.

Even more so in the CutOff.

Since you did limp and it was checked to you and you bet the flop. I say check the turn. You are easily going to be check-raised here IMHO.

I just don't like this hand at all.

Also you have to consider if your hand improves will that give someone else a better hand the 6s is such a card gave you trips, gave someone else a flush, same thing for a Flush card giving someone a fullhouse.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:33 PM

Hehe, yeah, I can relate I suppose. Had a really crappy session yesterday down 75 BBs in 3 hours. In fact it was the crappiest session ever, and every hand I got seemed like an opportunity to just throw away money.

Set busted by a rivered gutshot, set busted by a rivered 4 flush, AA busted twice by turned set and flopped set, JJ got in the same hand as QQ and a bunch of other very expensive hands.

Put some of those people on my friends list however, for "debt collection" later on! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2004, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMHO if you are going to bet an under-pair all the way if you don't flop trips because of your read on your opponent you need to raise pre-flop. Calling and taking an under-pair to the river is nuts even against a guy with 52s.

Even more so in the CutOff.

Since you did limp and it was checked to you and you bet the flop. I say check the turn. You are easily going to be check-raised here IMHO.

I just don't like this hand at all.

Also you have to consider if your hand improves will that give someone else a better hand the 6s is such a card gave you trips, gave someone else a flush, same thing for a Flush card giving someone a fullhouse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you sort-of. I agree that I should have raised PF and I like to do so with this hand. In fact, with that many callers I would have been justified in doing so. I was not afraid of the T or Q overpairs, mostly 'cause I give my opponents too much credit to chase, especially a low flush. But you're right raising PF makes the most sense.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hehe, yeah, I can relate I suppose. Had a really crappy session yesterday down 75 BBs in 3 hours. In fact it was the crappiest session ever, and every hand I got seemed like an opportunity to just throw away money.

Set busted by a rivered gutshot, set busted by a rivered 4 flush, AA busted twice by turned set and flopped set, JJ got in the same hand as QQ and a bunch of other very expensive hands.

Put some of those people on my friends list however, for "debt collection" later on! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have notes in PT to put some of these bozos on my buddy list [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2004, 09:06 PM

I don't like betting on the flop. I would rather get a free chance for a set on the turn. Overcards are going to call you, so why push it?

Same thing on the turn really.

The way I look at it, he beat you in the battle of the suckouts. You had a suckout going against top pair.