Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2004, 12:23 PM

Default UK/US Profesional Players: Double the value of your winnings overnite

Move to a country with a lower cost of living.

Sorry to disguise this post as spam, but I am seriously considering doing the above. My entire income is derived from online play in US dollars so I am seriously considering moving to a country with a much lower cost of living as this will lower my bottom line and take considerable pressure of my bankroll. I was considering Brazil as $2000 a month can get you a very high quailty of life (At least in terms of material purchasing power) and it has decent telecommunication infrastructure and beaches however it does have a bit of a crime problem but hey you dont win on the swings without losing something on the roundabouts.

I was just wondering if anyone else had considered realy leveraging the power of the internet which to use the old cliche is to live local and work global.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:42 PM

Default Re: UK/US Profesional Players: Double the value of your winnings overnite

I hear the cost of living in Idaho is pretty damn cheap. Montana too. I live just outside NYC so I pretty much halve the value of my winnings but considering I'm a pretty consistent loser, I guess I'm halving my losses too. Go me.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:57 PM

Default Re: UK/US Profesional Players: Double the value of your winnings overnite

http://www.escapeartist.com

This site is sorta spam-ish (not affiliated, yadda, yadda, yadda), but has some good articles and country profiles if you're seriously considering this. In addition to crime you want to consider health care.

jHE
Old 03-15-2004, 07:31 PM

I considered leaving North America if I wanted to be a serious player, ie play for real money (5/10 online or better),but you have to factor in the fact that if you want to live in a western style digs it will cost alot by that countries standards. For instance in my ancestral homeland I have seen ads for renting a house for 2000 dollars of their currency(thats about 325 US a month, basically the price of a crap room in most US cities or suburbs), but you have to factor in the house will be in moderate income area, not in a high income area, in the high income area to rent a house is about 2000 US a month, so you get the point. A better idea would be to build up a decent bankroll and purchase a house or rent one in a moderately priced area of the US ie the south in the non tourists parts or the midwest....
Old 03-15-2004, 08:46 PM

Well I actualy live in the UK. Having lived in the US for a considerable amount of time I can tell you that you can get alot more for less in the US. However I am talking about getting alot lot more.

I use the example of Brazil because I have all ready researched this and the highly achievable sum of 2000Us dollars a month will enable you to live the equivalent of an upper middle class lifestyle in Europe or US. By that I mean you can live in the best part of town, eat in the better restraunts and even hire a maid which will cost you just 83$ a month. To put it into perspetive the average wage is just 200$ a month, so local goods and services will be priced according to this mean wage. The average wage in the UK is £24,000 UK or £2000 a month which is the equivalent of about 1,000,0000,0000,000 US dollars at present or being serious about 43,000 US dollars or 3583$ a month. By earning $2000 a month in Brazil I am earning x10 the average wage. Imagine the spending power you would have in the US if you were earning 10 the average wage there.

The beauty of internet Poker is that ones earnings will remain constant unlike other professions which must sell there skills at the local market rate.

I also have to disagree with you about western stlye digs costing alot more in other maybe third world or developing countires. In my travels this just has not been the case. The cost of most things is dictated by money supply and in developing countires there is less money to chase goods so goods must be cheaper to avoid costing themselves out of the market.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:55 PM

In a pure monetary point it is valid but putting it in a social context, if you don't live in a rich man neighbourhood in my ancesteral homeland(Trinidad) if you are caucasian looking you are fresh meat to any thief, con man and strong arm thug. Brazil is no different from what I have heard. So while you can live much cheaper than in North America at what cost is it?
Old 03-15-2004, 08:56 PM

I've considered it. I hope you do it. let me know how it turns out. You could live like a king in Brazil. Especially if you're young. Go find yourself some brazilian supermodels.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:58 PM

Argentina has the same problems from what I have heard you can live like a king on 2K a month there....
Old 03-15-2004, 09:05 PM

My suggestion - Canada

-Lower crime rate
-Better health care (universal and free!)
-No taxes on gambling profits (unless you want to call it a business and write off computers, travel, etc...)
-Lower valued dollar, which makes your internet profits worth more

-We do not all live in igloos
-The weather is pretty good in some places (I'm in Victoria which is about as good as it gets in canada.)
-Can have dual citizenship easily
-Close to the US
-No gov't collapses or tyrannical oppression coming anytime soon

Regards,
Brad S
Old 03-15-2004, 09:08 PM

As regards Canada, I think you missed the bit were I said I live in the UK, which has many (but not all) of the benefits you outlined. Also CLIMATE is key to any englander wishing to escape this rain oppressed Isle. I want SUN.