Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2004, 04:22 AM

Default Paradise rebuy/addons

Is anybody playing these new rebuy/addon tourneys at Paradise? I haven't seen play this loose since the last time I sat down at the free money tables. I'm a pretty good NL tourney player (I make money, but not a living, at it), but these things are just killing me. There's no way to make a bet large enough to get people to fold their draws, because they'll just call and buy back in. That would be fine if your large bet whittled the field down to 2 players, but you can't even get a heads-up situation, no matter how much you raise, again because people will just call for the heck of it knowing they can rebuy.

I got so frustrated after a half dozen tourneys worth of having my premium hands cracked, that I decided to try a new strategy: I purchased a rebuy before the tourney started (as I usually do), but I immediately went into automatic post-and-fold and walked away from the computer until the 1-hour break. At that point my T3000 stack was down to about T2200. Whew! Saved all that frustration and still had a decent stack at the break, which I augmented by adding on T2500. By this time most of the maniacal play had died down and I could concentrate on actually playing cards. I think I'm going to use this strategy a lot.

Anyway, are rebuy tourneys always this wild? Is it actually a good strategy to play extremely loose early in the hopes of making a huge hand out of crappy cards, knowing you can just rebuy as needed?

T