Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2004, 05:30 PM

Default Whats in a name?

Something that I have given some thought about is online screen names and if there is anyway to gain some EV due to your name.

A couple of names have struck me as being clever:

1) wfafjalsd - some unreadably name makes it more difficult to remember someone. The biggest problem I have with online play is remembering someones play. In a B&M, it is not a problem because I can somehow associate the play with a face. Online sometimes I can associate a play with a name. For instance, someone named TeddyKGB32 I can picture a rounders wannabe and kinda remember how they play. With a name like adflasde, no picture comes to mind so it is much easier for me to forget the player entirely.

2) I saw a guy named "I_CHECKRAISE". I thought to myself now this is a name with utility. I wonder how many free cards this guy has gained based soley on his name. Clever name IMO

I'm curious if others have spent any real time considering their screen names, other than posing as a grandma, housewife, etc. Also, do you think it matters much?
Old 03-11-2004, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Whats in a name?

I'm not sure whether or not a name could have a positive effect on your table image, but you do realize that you can take notes on players online, right/ I mean, why does it matter if you can't remember the guys name because its a bunch of letters all mixed up when you can just right click on his name and take some notes/
Old 03-12-2004, 12:01 AM

So says the guys with a bunch of jumbled letters in his name.

I love it.

I do agree with the first poster. I would be a little bit more tentative against the guy named I CHECKRAISE. I tend to think too much against people named Dottie. I do also take notes on players, but it just seems that there are so many people online, sometimes it takes a week or more to see someone you've taken notes on.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:12 AM

I was playing in the Mirage one day, and the brush announced, "OK, we're going to start this $75-150 Omaha game on table 7, I need the following players to come take a seat: Jim, Steve, Buddy, Suzanne, Bill, Einstein, Brenda...."

I had no interest in the game, but I was thinking that there was no way I'd want to play high-stakes poker with a cat by the name of "Einstein". He would've had me psyched out before the first card was dealt.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2) I saw a guy named "I_CHECKRAISE". I thought to myself now this is a name with utility. I wonder how many free cards this guy has gained based soley on his name. Clever name IMO

[/ QUOTE ]
I have litte respect for anyone with names like this, they don't worry me. People that have a variation of their real name concern me a little more.

BTW, my favorite name that I saw online was Nutstomper.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:17 AM

Now if someone was called Czech-Raise, I'd be scared.