Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2004, 03:41 PM

Default AQo, out of position and facing heat

This is probably standard, but I don't know, and it's a situation I hate...

Party 2/4, mostly loose-passive but this hand there's one MP limper and it's on me in the SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I raise. BB folds, limper calls.

Flop is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet. Limper raises. I call.

Turn is the T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I check, he bets, I fold.

Is this standard, or is there another way? If I spade falls I'm seeing the river, I suppose, but am I? I could concievably have the best hand here, if he's agressive with overcards or a draw. On the other hand, the pot is pretty small.

Is this simply an example of why position wins in this game, or is there a better line?

El Sapo
Old 03-11-2004, 06:05 PM

Default Re: AQo, out of position and facing heat

Without a read, I would play it the same.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:25 PM

I like your play both PF and on the flop. But I'd lead out again on the turn, folding to a raise. I'd also bet the river if a brick or Q hit, but probably check if an A hit hoping he'd bluff.

His raise on the flop could be a try for a free turn...it could be a small pocket pair...it could be any pair on the flop. With 4.5 bets in the pot, the chance he might fold since you're showing aggression, and the chance that your 6 outs are good...it's worth a bet.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:56 PM

Personally (but heads up I am not confidant on) I think on the flop you should fold or raise.

Either he has hit somthing or he thinks you have raised with high cards pf and wants to push you out on a raggy board. I have seen in these situations people will give up in the face of the reraise or if you then check the turn it may force him to check as well fearing the reraise or if he has somthing he will bet into you, I think at least that way you get an idea of his hand, call then check like you did he is going to bet into you and you still have no idea where you are.

Personally I would probably fold, pot is low save your chips for the next time.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:35 PM

Now I've read two posts in a row by you where you seem to have either misunderstood the action, or simply been using the wrong words.

Fold or raise on the flop? Hero bet the flop and the other guy called.

Edit: My bad, neglect this post. I'm a bit too quick myself it seems.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:43 PM

No, you are misreading it. Read it again.

Anyway, I like that advice. If I'm going to stick around I'd rather reraise on the flop for a SB then get stuck check-calling the turn or betting the turn and having to fold to a raise that might be a bluff. If you reraise on the flop and check the turn he is definitely ahead of you if he bets there.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:26 PM

There's little chance I'm folding AQ on the turn unless I've got a specific read. There's a good chance you have the best hand. If you're beat, you should have six clean outs.

This is the type of hand where going to a showdown with Ace-high needs to be considered.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:19 AM

Pre flop was perfect.....after flop....just muck....no pot odds and you were beat, trying to catch one of your 6 outs....with 2 cards to come...you had aprox: 24% chance of hitting one of your outs and a 76% chance of missing.....all for this small pot....Why....Either flop it or muck it......you can chase only when the pot is very big....IMO
Old 03-12-2004, 02:21 AM

Huh??? All for this small pot??? No pot odds......IMO
Old 03-12-2004, 02:24 AM

You would fold to the raise on the flop for only 1 more SB? You have immediate odds to call not to mention 2 big bet streets to extract more if you do hit your hand.

I think ElSapo played it perfectly.