Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2004, 08:13 AM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob
Default Big NLHE Games?

Are there any NLHE games bigger than the ones at Stars (3/6)? and if so, where?

Thanks in advance,

William
Old 03-11-2004, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Big NLHE Games?

Since you are from Europe you are able to play at Ladbrokes which has NL-games up to blinds of $25-50 and a max buy-in of $5000. They have also 3-6, 4-8, 5-10, 8-16 and 10-20 with max buy-in of 100BB. You can find games on most of these limits most of the time.

You can also check out Prima (Gaming Club, Captain Cooks Poker, Expect are all Prima sites). They have the same as Ladbrokes but 15-30 instead of 25-50.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:23 AM

Try ultimatebet as well.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:07 AM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

Thanks for the replies and the info.
Right now I'm doing well at Stars, but I hope soon I will be wanting to move up.

Thanks again,
William
Old 03-11-2004, 02:45 PM

UB spreads the following biggish games:

2/4
5/10
10/25
25/50

From watching the 5/10, I can tell you that it plays pretty unusually. The 25/50 is just bizzare.

scrub
Old 03-11-2004, 02:46 PM

what do you mean scrub?
Old 03-11-2004, 02:58 PM

In the 25/50, and mind you this is coming from someone who plays much smaller and is by no means a pro, it seems like many of the players get much too carried away with their steals and resteals. It seems like whenever anyone gets reraise preflop when he or she has a tough decision, they just say "screw it, I've got a big hand and if I'm beat I'm beat," and throw their chips in there. The money escalates on much thinner hands. I have a feeling that someone shortbuying and pushing on like 8% of their hands would make a killing in this game.

The 5/10 is also a bit unusual. I blame the UB "bet-pot" button, but there are just a ton of very strong bets on thin hands and big hands. Plus, like at the 2/4 tables, there are some extremely strong players, and some shortbuyers. Like the 25/50, I just think that marginal hands get pushed so hard that it's probably exploitable. I don't think that most players in the game consider the size of their bet often enough, and probably miss a lot of value bets.

Then again, you won't see me sitting either... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

scrub
Old 03-11-2004, 09:41 PM

There's definitely some bad play in the 25/50 and definitely a number of players who are way too eager to get all their money in the middle. However, be aware that there are some players who look like they are in that category but aren't. Here's what these guys do:

When the opponent is not deep, they will give tons of action in a small pot. So, let's say the opponent has $1500. They raise, opponent re-raises, they put him all-in with their small pocket pair. Whoa, this guy is CRAZY!

Other times, when the money is deeper (say $4k-6k) they have a big draw, they will semi-bluff all-in on the turn. Between the times their opponent mucks and the times they get called and make the draw, if they are losing money here, it is just a little.

Finally, when the money is really deep (say $10k+), they will make a huge overbet with the nuts. They get called and that's the ballgame.

My point is that there is often a method to the madness and it's sometimes hard to distinguish that from plain old bad play.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point is that there is often a method to the madness and it's sometimes hard to distinguish that from plain old bad play.

[/ QUOTE ]

one of the best players in my PL game employs a similar strategy. having a deep stack is very key.

--turnipmonster