Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2004, 01:57 AM

Default New SH player

I have been playing online for close to a year now, with moderate success playing mainly 1-2 on PP. After venturing into some of the 6 handed tables, I can see where someone could make a higher bb/100 playing SH vs a full table.

I've massed a small sampling in my PokerTracker DB from my play over the last 2 days playing shorthanded, and have noticed I am taking some pretty big swings, hopefully something I can fix.

Here is what I have so far.

Hands 2022
VP$IP 32.10%
PFR 11.67%
BB/100 (0.40)

Position stats VP$IP/ PFR / BB/100

Button - 33.25 / 15.48 / .07
1 - 30.19 / 14.40 / .14
2 - 29.11 / 12.97 / .02
3 - 25.15 / 9.82 / (.07)
SB - 23.21 / 6.38 / (.08)
BB - 46.72 / 10.35 / (.12)

Looking over the numbers, I must be calling way too many raises out of the BB, and probably playing too many hands out of position in the SB.

If anyone has any advice, or a link to some info I can read about SH play, I'd love to see them.

Old 03-11-2004, 02:10 AM

Default Re: New SH player

2,000 hands isnt enough for any firm conclusion - if your stats were the same after 50,000 hands i would say that you see a lot of flops (not neccesarily too many depending on what you do post flop) and that you dont raise enough pre-flop

there is a ton of information contained in the threads from this forum - searching for it wouldnt be too hard - there are many posts that discuss starting hand strategys for this game as well as pokertracker stats and a bunch of post flop posts - you wouldnt need to look back more than say 2-3 months

welcome to the forum

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 03-11-2004, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looking over the numbers, I must be calling way too many raises out of the BB, and probably playing too many hands out of position in the SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know where you get this idea from. You are gonna lose money from the blinds, thats just the way it is and your loses are well with-in a reasonable expectation in those seats. If anything the thing that should jump out at you is that you are losing from UTG. Your numbers from the button and 2 off are low as well.

Granted ... 2000 hands is meaningless for this sort of analysis, but if you did have a larger sample size your analysis would be pointing you in the wrong direction.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:55 PM

As other poster said: 2000 hands is nothing.

But you raise to little preflop. If you are first in always almost raise/fold. Never ever (well...) call from CO or button first in: raise/fold.

You are coming in with 25% from UTG, but only raise 10%, that is way to much calling. If game is loose and not very aggressive you can call with some suited connectors and small pairs, but still you should raise well above 50%.

Normally dont coldcall preflop, 3 bet or fold. Some hands, like KQs after a raise and some coldcallers is maybe call...

Im playing 5/10, shorthanded: VP$IP 22%. Raise 12%. From any position, except blinds, I am raising between 65-75%, and I am not extremly aggressive.

Raising put you in drivers seat. You can get free cards if you are in late position. You can steal flop if noone got anything. You can bet all the way without anyone knowing if you are just continuing preflop aggression or really hit flop. You will get strange hands to fold preflop, its easier to know if they are hit or not. They will come in for 2bets with a lot of trash hands when you raise... lots of good things with raising preflop.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:35 PM

G'day,
I agree with strip and kiddo. 2000 hands arent enough. Kiddo hit the point exactly I feel, your pre-flop play in positions 2 and 3 (your problem positions) is WAY to passive and probably loose, I think this is a good analysis even with only 2000 hands. I dont generally agree with blanket policies, but in SH play I NEVER limp first to speak from ANY position. People say that in a passive game you can try to get some drawing hands past everyone. I dont think the games are ever that "passive" and I feel sick if I'me first in and the BB has a free look at the flop, how dare 2 random cards get a look at the flop against the 2 cards I'm prepared to play first to speak!! If they want to play the rubbish served up to them then they at least can make the mistake of putting more money in the pot.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:48 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, going to work on your suggestions. Never open limp.

Rak