Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2004, 12:35 PM

Default 30-60 Flop monster hand

Game is 5 handed with two soft spots. Folded to Button who open raises. This player is very tight even in short handed games and does not like to rock the boat much. SB call and I just call in the BB with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Three to see the flop.

Flop-7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB and I check to the Tighty PFR who bets. SB mucks and I checkraise. He reraises and I call.

Turn-7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, he bets and I checkraise once again. He calls.

River-7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet and get called. He showed Jacks afterwards.

I decided to play the hand fast on the flop to gain some information as to what he held. If this player had merely called my checkraise on the flop his most likely holding would be AK or maybe AQ and I'de get called all the way down. If he reraises me I know he's got an overpair and if he's got something like KQ or KJ he would just roll over and muck. My question is, after finding out he's holding an overpair, how would you play the hand from there? Did I extract the maximum amount or could I have made maybe one more bet? Thoughts?

Sidenote: This player will not call a river checkraise from me so take that strategy out of the equation.

Pipedream
Old 03-10-2004, 12:49 PM

Default Re: 30-60 Flop monster hand

Sounds like you should checkraise the river a lot.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:58 PM

I'm not sure what you mean.

Pipedream
Old 03-10-2004, 01:10 PM

I think he means that you need to be checkraising the river more often with hands that probably do not warrant it.

-Diplomat
Old 03-10-2004, 01:13 PM

A line I like slightly more is to bet the flop, call a raise, then bet the turn again with a view to three-betting. I'd either do what you did or what I suggest, largely depending on how aggressive your opponent tend to be. Given that this is a shorthanded game, your opponent will likely try to get as much value as possible out of his best hands -- therefore, I like my line slightly better.

-Diplomat
Old 03-10-2004, 01:14 PM

What you did is fine. Other alternatives are: if you are convinced he has an overpair, then why not bet into him on the turn? Then you c/r the river. If he just calls the turn are you still convinced of an overpair -- if so, c/r the river. You really can't c/r the river after you c/r the flop and turn, unless he is a bonehead like me and has AA or KK or something, and even us boneheads check behind here usually.

I'd be more concerned about winning the minimum when he has AK or AQ then the max when he has an overpair, getting jiggy on the flop and turn will lose a lot of hands. You may want to rethink your line based not on what he had, but on his range of hands.

The other thing about betting the turn, is that hands that can afford free cards like AA and KK can check behind you.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:06 PM

After reading your post I thought there was no better way to play it, but then I noticed lots of responses and was curious to see if anyone might have suggestions. After reading the other post I do not see any better ways to play it. I think you extracted the max. Three betting the flop would only get you a call when bet the turn and river or a check behind if you went for a check raise. After check rasing the turn, a player like this will not bet into you on the river.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:59 PM

The key to getting several bets in on the turn is to bet and call a raise, then bet again on the turn. This is a typical betting pattern for a hand like 66, trying to not give a free card to a hand like AK. An overpair will often raise the turn here.

-Diplomat