Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2004, 11:22 AM

Default Proper Chase Scenario?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero raises, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, Button bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, Button bets, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, Button bets, UTG+1 calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

Ok, the flop call was the worst part of this play on my part, in retrospect I should've dropped it there with only one overcard, no flush draw, and only a runner runner straight draw. However, on the turn with a belly buster and 8.75 BB in was my call correct, assuming if I hit my straight I can probably get 3-4 more BB with a checkraise?
Old 03-10-2004, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Proper Chase Scenario?

I'm a noob, so disregard the following [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think I deffinately drop this on the flop. To me that's a clean whiff. You do pick up the inside straight draw (but to me, that's not really a draw) on the turn. That's 11:1 as I'm sure you know. However one of those 8's makes you the straight, but could make someone the flush. Which takes your outs from 4 to 3, which skews the odds a bit. So I think even with your read on the implied odds, I still lay down here.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:02 PM

I wouldn't have called the turn. Really, you're drawing to 3 outs--you don't want to river the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]--and even then your hand might not be good if someone has QT.

You'd want substantially more than 10-1 to draw to your gutshot.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:40 PM

Default You both are right.

I overlooked the flush draw when I was considering my odds, I definitely should've dropped it.

Old 03-10-2004, 02:22 PM

It sounds like you don't think your ace out would be any good. and given the Button's play you may be right. If so its a clear fold.

I don't like your pre-flop raise, you should have dumped this on the flop, and don't talk yourself into calling with a gutshot, particularly on the turn--8.5 to one on a flop gutshot, with two rounds to extract bets from you opponents if you hit on the turn ok--I wouldn't do it, but ok. But looking for reasons to play, talking yourself into playing, is gonna cost you heavily in the long run.

And if you hit an A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or an 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] you are probably going to invest more money with a weak kicker or non-nut straight when you have a flush on board.

Sklansky and Malmuth talk about mistakes that compound themselves. A small mistake on the flop can turn into a big mistake on the later streets. In this case your flop call only cost you 1.5 Bb's. Not too bad. But it could have been much worse.

--Zetack
Old 03-10-2004, 02:54 PM

The flop missed you by a mile... I would fold here.

On the turn you have a 2 outer gutshot (not 4 outer because the 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] are not clean. You can't rely on implied odds when making your hand could make theirs too). I'd fold here as well.

Excellent river play. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2004, 03:17 PM

Why the preflop raise? I think you want more players in here, particularly if you hit your flush. If lesser aces come along behind you, that's good too. By raising, you'll pretty much ensure that only aces that dominate you call. I think you save this raise for a later position opener or isolation play. Then when you whiff the flop you don't feel as tied to the pot.