Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2004, 02:08 AM

Default $1/$2 (6 max)

New to SH games. Trying to break my WT ring game habits. All comments appreciated.

No real reads on the table, but any A/K/Q or suited seems to do.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero raises, MP folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, Button raises, BB folds, Hero 3-bets, Button calls.

This would seem to be an auto 3 bet for SH. I call this raise in a ring game.

Turn: (6.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero calls.

This is where I obviously crapped the bed. I basically gave the hand away from here. Should I be betting here 90% of the time and then calling a raise?

River: (8.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero folds.

If the same thing happend, but the Turn played more aggressively then what's the play? I would c/c or c/f probably.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

-Mike
Old 03-10-2004, 05:16 AM

Default Re: $1/$2 (6 max)

You are out of position here against the Button, and at the limit you are playing I don't think the Flop 3-bet achieves anything; if you miss your draw on the Turn and check as you did you are almost certain to get bet into and have to call. Button is not folding his K or Q now, as he likes his hand and will likely call if you hit the flush with TP, certainly 2-pair, and possibly 2nd pair (depending on if he is dumb, typical or a total moron).

You are drawing to the absolute nuts, so my preference here would be to CR the flop. With the cards falling as they did, chances are Button has caught something and will bet. I'm not worried about BB coming along due to the strength of my draw, so check the flop, BB may call Buttons single bet, then you can CR. This means you may get a free card by checking the Turn, as Button does not want to get CR again, and BB might have put in two single bets and feel obliged to stay in the hand with anything.

Out of position like this I would either check/call my draw or CR to scare my opponent into checking behind on the Turn if a blank falls. As it happens, he may have bet the Turn anyway if he has indeed got the K but I think the CR is the preferable play.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:54 AM

Default Re: $1/$2 (6 max)

preflop:great
flop:id bet call
turn:id check call
flop:id check fold

most 1/2 sh players wont fold 2nd pair hu so theres no point in reraising on a draw like this unless you think you are ahead. sh lowlimit is all about semi bluffing. but you should rarely pure bluff.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:22 PM

Default In defense of the flop 3-bet

I did some messing around with the poker calculator at twodimes.net, and unless the button has AA, AK or AQ, our hero is favored to win on the flop v. any single pair hands the button might have. (The hero is only a very slight favorite over KT or QT though.) Also, the 3-bet disguises our hero's hand somewhat, which is nice even at 1/2.

In general, you played it fine, assuming the button is the typical straightforward 1/2 player.