Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2004, 05:14 PM

Default Oops!

Paradise .50-1.00 full table 1st hand - accidently posted early (benefits of multi-tabling) - I must look like a total fish [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hero is UTG on the post with T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero Open raises, UTG+1 3 bets, folded to MP1 cold-calls, folded to BB calls, Hero Calls. 4 to the flop -

K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero Bets, UTG+1 raises, MP folds, BB folds, Hero Calls. 2 to the turn -

Turn - J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (hmmm....Open ender,check call mode?)

Hero checks, UTG+1 Bets, Hero calls. 2 to the river.

River - 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero Checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero calls.

Flame Away -

Results in White: <font color="white">UTG+1 flips over 99 and MHIG </font>
Old 03-09-2004, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Oops!

Prepreflop - The decision to pay for the pleasure of playing an extra hand is a personal matter [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Preflop - Check. Why raise with a borderline hand and tell everyone you don't have 72o?

Flop - Checkfold. There is a great chance you have the worst hand at the table with two outs.

Turn - Your draw is sound and you have an easy call.

River - You have 11-1 odds to call. Counting possible hands for him (excluding all of the cards you can see) suggests 99 or TT to a tie is more likely than that by a comfortable margin. But there is the subjective issue of whether he would play 99 like this. A close decision where an aggressiveness read would really help.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:34 AM

I agree with StellarWind regarding the pre-flop raise. I would simply limp in with TT almost all of the time (maybe you did this to change gears).

When UTG+1 raises (apparently an attempt to isolate), I would have put him on a big pair, AK, MAYBE AQ. (BTW, what is MP1 doing cold-calling two early position raises?)

With that flop and his continued aggression, I still put him on the above hands. I'm not sure I would bet here. I may check-fold. When you are re-raised here, I may lay it down. You've got to believe you have a two-outer.

I think UTG+1 must have simply carried a bluff too far. I don't see how he thinks he can possibly win a showdown. Based on your pre-flop raise, even though you were passive from flop through river, I don't see how he thinks he's in the lead.

As a side note, I'm confused how StellarWind could possibly put UTG+1 on 9's or even 10's. That seems like an awfully loose play re-raising a flop in second position with pocket 9's. I definitely would have put this guy on the hands I noted above with his aggressive play throughout the hand.

Oh yeah, nice win! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2004, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a side note, I'm confused how StellarWind could possibly put UTG+1 on 9's or even 10's.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because I play at Paradise and this happens all the time. While doing my back-of-the-envelope calculations for the river call, I included 88 for a set as a possibility. Even lower pairs turn up more often than you would think.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:10 PM

Hey Cardcuda:

I disagree with the others about your pf raise. I have found that my results with TT have dramatically improved since I started being more aggressive btf with this hand. The fact that you posted ( [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ), makes it even more compelling to raise here. Raise it up!!

I would probably check fold the flop against most preflop 3-bettors. That flop is ugly for you.

Yes, you can call there turn with your OE straight draw.

I still probably fold on the river. If you think about the range of hands that UTG+1 could have based on his play, I do not think you are ahead often enought to make the river call getting 11:1.

But you won [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ..... so what do I know. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

--Rico
Old 03-09-2004, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with the others about your pf raise. I have found that my results with TT have dramatically improved since I started being more aggressive btf with this hand. The fact that you posted ( ), makes it even more compelling to raise here. Raise it up!!

[/ QUOTE ]
It is because of the posting that I recommended a check.

When you limp UTG, your opponents can put you on a fairly narrow range of hands. That isn't possible if you post and check. You could have almost anything. This concealment factor gives post/check with TT a major advantage over the usual limping scenario.

In contrast, once you raise with TT, it hardly matters whether you posted. You are still locked into the usual list of premium hands for an UTG raise.

If the call or raise decision is at all close, and TT UTG certainly qualifies as close, the concealment factor should dictate a check when you have posted.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:17 PM

Even considering the deception factor, I like the raise PF. Unless you play the tens mainly to hit a set, you want to do everything you can to make sure that hands with a weak A, K, Q, go away. With a favorable flop that you can play aggressively, you don't want to lose to a rivered overcard.

I check fold this flop. Yeah, you might be ahead (and of course you are), but the 3bet from directly to your left gives you very few hands you are ahead of. So you beat A-J and lower pocket pairs. Whoopdeedo.

--Zetack
Old 03-09-2004, 06:25 PM

Playing online at a .5/1 table- I dont think the players are sharp enough to make those kind of reads. I raise with TT out of the blinds or the post.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:27 PM

Hey Stellar:

I think deception, in general, has little value in low limit--and I think there is even less value in this particular instance.

Many good things can happen when you raise here. You can limit the field getting some overcards to fold, you charge people with inferior hands, you are much more likely to take the pot down w/out a showdown, etc.

--Rico

Old 03-09-2004, 06:33 PM

Hey Rico -

Yeah this was a "funky" hand.

1 - 1st mistake was posting accidently UTG (whoops). But pocket T's not a bad start and I agree raising with this hand is optimal in my opinion.

2 - Ugly flop yes, but 1st hand into the session with no reads. I already look like an idiot for posting early I figured I'd bet the flop and if it gets 3 bet I'd fold.

3 - The turn gave me hope....OESD. Heads up vs. UTG+1. I wasn't folding and decided then I'm going to showdown.

4 - Well I totally missed and wasn't going to fold for 1 bet on the river. I figured I'll get 2 things from this:

1) Get to see what UTG+1 re-raises with (information)
2) I look like an idiot calling station, mis-posting large Pacific Salmon.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] by calling down T's on that board, and this benefits me the rest of my session.
3) Surprise! Wow a winner what do ya know! Guess I shoulda 3 bet the flop.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]