Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2004, 10:55 AM

Default Poker Ethics Question

There is software out there that keeps track of cards that have been dealt in seven card stud. Being that I have a horrible short term memory, this would be useful to me especially.

My question, do you think this is cheating?

With that said, I have not purchased the software, I am really interested in hearing what people have to say.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Poker Ethics Question

Absolutely. To me this is clear cut cheating. You are using a computer program to give you an advantage that you would not otherwise have. Card memory is so central to playing stud well that this is clear to me.

Let others try to get ahead through cheating, you obviously are above that since you are even asking.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. To me this is clear cut cheating. You are using a computer program to give you an advantage that you would not otherwise have. Card memory is so central to playing stud well that this is clear to me.

Let others try to get ahead through cheating, you obviously are above that since you are even asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not disagreeing with you but wouldn't a calculator be the same kind of cheating tool? I bring it up because many have said they use it and I see no difference between the 2.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:16 AM

I'm not saying that this is something I would be doing and maybe I'm not understanding what this program does, (does it keep track of someone elses down cards somehow???)but I don't see it as cheating anymore than keeping notes during a session.

Some people choose to keep notes on the information that is in front of them and others don't. Some will choose to buy this a program that essentially keeps notes for them and other's wont. Isn't pokertracker a lot like this???

Old 03-08-2004, 11:19 AM

I considered the difference between a calculator and this program and there is a difference.

The difference is that this computer program actually INTERACTS with the game. Card memory is very important in stud and this program keeps track of the cards that have been played. The action moves too quickly to do this by writing notes, therefore it is a program that gives you an advantage in online poker that you would not otherwise have.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:21 AM

Yes, keeping notes is one thing. But it would be near impossible to keep notes on all the cards that have come and gone. This would be similar to using a card counting PROGRAM to cheat blackjack.

In my opinion card counting itself is not cheating, but if you devise a computer program that counts the cards for you, it is cheating.

Being able to keep track of cards is a learned skill in Stud, and using a program to do it for you is cheating. No doubt many people are doing it, but I would never be one of them.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:05 AM

Grifter, I agree with you, and here is the simple answer why. If someone else was using it against me, I would think they were cheating.

I do not feel the same way about poker tracker.

I play low limit poker for fun and to try and be a winning player. Using this sort of software would go against that.

Dog
Old 03-09-2004, 02:55 AM

I've never used it and never will, but I don't think its cheating at all. You could easily write down all of the cards you see or write them all out beforehand and then put a checkmark next to them as you see them. Would that be cheating/ Obviously not.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:03 AM

use a pen and paper, don't pay for the program, and then these guys will be happy and you'll overcome your memory loss.